Bojo's 73 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking awesome, J! ::thumb::

I wrapped a temp sensor on my '97 Ram with teflon tape the first time I changed it... and it ran hot, actually. Pulled the tape a few days, and that sensor was better but still never quite right again. Swapped it out and the newer one still seems to be reading a little high - I'm guessing the ECU never got over it or something.

Shouldn't be much of a problem for our 'dumb' old cars. ;) :D

Keep it up, Brutha! I'm thinkin' mine might be all back together 'bout mid-September as well.

Looking awesome, J! ::thumb::

I wrapped a temp sensor on my '97 Ram with teflon tape the first time I changed it... and it ran hot, actually. Pulled the tape a few days, and that sensor was better but still never quite right again. Swapped it out and the newer one still seems to be reading a little high - I'm guessing the ECU never got over it or something.

Shouldn't be much of a problem for our 'dumb' old cars. ;) :D

Keep it up, Brutha! I'm thinkin' mine might be all back together 'bout mid-September as well.
Thx Eric,

I looked at your Facebook pictures the other day and was amazed at all the work that you have done. Sure is looking nice. Make sure you post a video of the first drive, I'd like to see it.

thx

Cars really looking great! It's gonna look really good when you get all the badgeing on. I really love the black contrast on white.
Thx, I am partial to the white/black combo. I wanted everything to be white and black on the exterior except for the chrome highlights. In the interior I had the striping on the front seats done in black to carry the same theme inside. Originally the seats were a darker gray but decided to change that up a little. The front seats pic can be seen on this page.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-bojo-s-73-project?page=24

thx

8/22/14

Just a quick update here. Still debating on trying to do the headliner myself or have it done. I want to have a good tight finish and I am not sure that I can do it. Also in the meantime I am going to delay putting on the hood because the installer would rather have it off when they put on the front windshield.

During the week I did manage to get the ignition key cylinder replaced but I ran into one problem. The key cylinder was for the first run of these cars so it did not fit. I thought that Ford had changed the style starting in June of 73 and that's what I planned on. Not the case for my car. Then I remembered that before I started this resto I had purchased some parts and luckily I purchased one of the earlier designs too and it fit perfectly. Only reason that I changed this was when my car was stolen the ignition key cylinder was replaced so I had 3 keys because the door locks were different than the key for starting the car. Anyway I got the new door locks and latches installed along with the door handles. The doors now close and latch properly, no longer have to use bungee cords to keep them shut. Lastly part of the window mechanism is installed in the driver side door. Tomorrow I should have that window in again.

John,

Had the same problem with the ignition cylinder. My car is a June build and the switch over date was 5/14/73 but had the old style. sdstang's june build also had the old style.

Why not try the headliner install and if you wreck it your only out $40, that's going to be my approach.

John,

Had the same problem with the ignition cylinder. My car is a June build and the switch over date was 5/14/73 but had the old style. sdstang's june build also had the old style.

Why not try the headliner install and if you wreck it your only out $40, that's going to be my approach.
Jeff,

My built date was 6/28/73 so I thought for sure that the cylinder had changed. They must have still had a lot of those part's left.

As for the headliner I am going to think about it again while I work on the windows today. Thx for the suggestions.

-john

8/23/14

Finished up both doors today. All of the internal mechanisms are in and the windows all roll up without binding. Only thing left is to find a pair of speakers that will fit in the door where the original ones were. If anyone has a name and model number that will fit let me know. Wound up missing only one part this time around and that's the interior driver door handle to open the door. I know that I saw it some where but can't remember where. Also put in the new overhead light to make sure it works before I put in the headliner and it worked properly. More to come tomorrow.

Those are mounting plates with a 4x6 speaker. I basically made the same thing with my own plates and much better speakers.

IMG_2027.jpg

They lack bass. I'd get these if they were out when I did my speakers. Still might.

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/store/products/speaker_assys_radio_4_x_8-184732-0.html

8/24/17

Spent the day cleaning all the trim parts. I still have to do the qtr panels and the fold down seat parts but getting closer every day now. Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

IMG_2678.JPG

Looking good, John! Let me know if you can't find your door handle. I know I have a couple extras floating around here somewhere! :)

Looking good, John! Let me know if you can't find your door handle. I know I have a couple extras floating around here somewhere! :)
Thx Travis,

I know that I saw it somewhere but still couldn't find it today. It's the driver side that I need, thx again.

-john

Thx Travis,

I know that I saw it somewhere but still couldn't find it today. It's the driver side that I need, thx again.

-john
You have the Deluxe interior, correct?

Thx Travis,

-john
You have the Deluxe interior, correct?
My Marti says Interior Décor group. On my very first post on this thread there is a picture of the passenger door and you can see the handle. I can post a pic of that handle if you need to see it.

8/26/14

Tonight I cleaned all the surfaces where the headliner needs to be glued to. Also marked the locations for the mounting hardware (screws) for all the trim pieces. Tomorrow hopefully the headliner will be in place and I'll post a pic of it.

The engine temp gauge started working again and I don't know why. I replaced the water temp sensor and it was a no go, then I tried another OEM gauge and still nothing. Then after awhile I started the motor and the original gauge was working again. Looked at the electrical schematics and every thing was good. Only thing left is the constant voltage regulator so I went ahead and ordered a new one and the Mylar printed circuit board. Figured while I have everything out I might as well replace them as I don't want to have to tear everything apart again later on. More to come tomorrow evening.

Only thing left is the constant voltage regulator so I went ahead and ordered a new one and the Mylar printed circuit board. Figured while I have everything out I might as well replace them as I don't want to have to tear everything apart again later on. More to come tomorrow evening.
Glad to hear you're still making steady progress. The original voltage regulators are a mechanical style regulator making them a little fickle with age. The new ones are a solid state regulator in the body of the old style so they look appropriate but should be much more stable and accurate. Good call replacing it all now so that you don't have to worry about it later. I need to do the circuit board on mine as the copper was starting to de-laminate from the backing.

Only thing left is the constant voltage regulator so I went ahead and ordered a new one and the Mylar printed circuit board. Figured while I have everything out I might as well replace them as I don't want to have to tear everything apart again later on. More to come tomorrow evening.
Glad to hear you're still making steady progress. The original voltage regulators are a mechanical style regulator making them a little fickle with age. The new ones are a solid state regulator in the body of the old style so they look appropriate but should be much more stable and accurate. Good call replacing it all now so that you don't have to worry about it later. I need to do the circuit board on mine as the copper was starting to de-laminate from the backing.
Me too! that circuit just isn't built to last 40+ years ;)

Back