Bojo's 73 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8/27/14

Accomplishment for today is that the headliner is now in. I am going to start working on the QTR panels to try to restore them next. They are pretty beat up but I may be able to make them presentable again. For the weekend I am going to try to get all the trim pieces installed around the headliner and then get the front and rear windshield on.

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
8/27/14

Accomplishment for today is that the headliner is now in. I am going to start working on the QTR panels to try to restore them next. They are pretty beat up but I may be able to make them presentable again. For the weekend I am going to try to get all the trim pieces installed around the headliner and then get the front and rear windshield on.

The headliner looks great, I had very good luck restoring my fold down quarter plastic using satin black krylon fusion, but I'm sure my way is the wrong way:)

Is it gonna have rear window louvers?

Great looking project, J. One of the best Mach 1's on the road!
Yes, it's painted in the same black as the rear/front spoiler and the hood. Just waiting to get the rear window on and then I'll be installing the louvers. Appreciate all the positive comments guys.

Awesome John..Lookin better by the day!!
Thx Mike, almost there. Yesterday I couldn't resist moving it a little further and I must say it wants to fly when you give it some gas. It's going to take me some time getting used to the power it now has.

8/28/14

Today I received the door speakers and they are a pretty good fit though I haven't actually mounted them yet. I went with the ones from NPD. Tonight I made repairs to the driver side rear panel and that part came out pretty good. What I am not satisfied with is the paint job. It came out pretty blotchy so tomorrow I will try to put on a second coat an see how it looks. Also cleaned up the rain gutter trim pieces though I am not completely done with that yet. Need to pick up some wax so I can polish those pieces, screws so that I can mount them to the door jam and some adhesive to attach the rubber window seals.

Lastly I want to take the time to thank everyone who helped me resolve the many issues that came up during the build and the support that I received during the trying times. This is a great forum and I am fortunate to have found this site and the friends that I have made here.

thx

-john

What I am not satisfied with is the paint job. It came out pretty blotchy so tomorrow I will try to put on a second coat an see how it looks.
Are you using the S.E.M Interior paint ? It's what you need Here my video on how I do my interior pieces

What I am not satisfied with is the paint job. It came out pretty blotchy so tomorrow I will try to put on a second coat an see how it looks.
Are you using the S.E.M Interior paint ? It's what you need Here my video on how I do my interior pieces

Thx Q, where do you get the SEM dye from?

John,

I went with Q's approach on the SEM plastic panels and it worked great. Got the Landau Black from Summit.

Glad you tackled the headliner and it turned out so nice...now you can come help with mine!

Hey John! You're so close! I'm so happy for you! I got my S.E.M. dye from NPD. Works great! PM me your address. I'll send you that door handle.

Travis

You could likely get some at Wesco, or they could order it in.

http://www.wescopbe.com/stores.htm
Yeah, I bought a couple of cans at Wesco today and it made it a lot better. The problem I am having now is that these panels were subjected to years of AZ heat and parts are actually crumbling. A lot of them have big gouges too. I got a couple of repop QTR panels however the very back ones are not available. Just going to gave to make do with what I have and hope that I can acquire better ones later on.

John,

I had some far rear quarter panels that were badly sun damaged and big scratches on the top section. I sanded them down and then sprayed with a textured finish and they came out pretty good. See pic below. I can go find the exact stuff tomorrow in garage if you want. I ended up selling them because I found another set.

2w7h00x.jpg

John,

I had some far rear quarter panels that were badly sun damaged and big scratches on the top section. I sanded them down and then sprayed with a textured finish and they came out pretty good. See pic below. I can go find the exact stuff tomorrow in garage if you want. I ended up selling them because I found another set.

2w7h00x.jpg
Yeah that looks really good Jeff. That panel for me is 2 tone, the bottom part is black and the sail panel looking area is white. So do you know if they have that in the white too? Let me know what you used when you find out. Thx again Jeff.

-john

John,

I used Rust Oleum american accents line...the paint was called STONE textured finish. Get at Home Depot. Number on can label was 7990830 AA Stone Bleached Stone.

I only sprayed this on the top sail panel part of the panel and it matches pretty well the oem texture...look at my pic and decide. Depending on your panel you might want to spray the whole panel. My panel was also white on the top part but I sprayed all black to sell when I found a new set. This stuff is just the texture, I then sprayed with SEM landau black after it dried.

I have also heard of people using the crinkle valve cover paint to duplicate the oem finish but have not tried.

John,

I used Rust Oleum american accents line...the paint was called STONE textured finish. Get at Home Depot. Number on can label was 7990830 AA Stone Bleached Stone.

I only sprayed this on the top sail panel part of the panel and it matches pretty well the oem texture...look at my pic and decide. Depending on your panel you might want to spray the whole panel. My panel was also white on the top part but I sprayed all black to sell when I found a new set. This stuff is just the texture, I then sprayed with SEM landau black after it dried.

I have also heard of people using the crinkle valve cover paint to duplicate the oem finish but have not tried.

Thx Jeff, I have used that product before but didn't think of trying it here too. Ill give it a try this weekend and thx for the suggestion.

-john

The staggering amount of work you've done and the results are just outstanding John ::thumb::

The staggering amount of work you've done and the results are just outstanding John ::thumb::
Rob73Mach1

Thx for the comments, glad you like what's been done to it.

8/30/14

Found out that Wesco sells SEM spray on texture for car panels however they were closed today so I'll have to wait till Tuesday to check it out. Going to see if it makes the panels look any better.

So accomplishments for today:

* Got the driver side drip rails installed, the rear side window, side mirror and all the weather stripping around the door. Going to have to order another package of the insulation material that goes between the two pieces of trim around the top of the upper window trim. Thought one package would do both sides but that is not the case.

* Replaced the Mylar printed circuit strip and the constant voltage regulator. My engine temp gauge didn't work today again after the replacement.

Repaired the driver side Qtr panel using a fiberglass repair kit. One of the screw holes at the edge of the panel was cracked and the material was paper thin and ready to break off. I also tried fitting one of the repop quarters that I hard but the fit was not good at all. It would take too much time and effort to get a good fit if I were to use them. Going to try and use the factory pieces first.

Tomorrow I will start to clean all the parts for the driver side window. Attached a pic of the driver side after todays work.

thx

IMG_2684.JPG

Back