Manual steering box upgrade

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlife

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Is there a aftermarket  box or a way to rebuild  a manual steering box so it turns easier? Dont want to convert to ps

Is there a aftermarket  box or a way to rebuild  a manual steering box so it turns easier? Dont want to convert to ps
No idea, but why would you NOT upgrade to PS? It's not that hard to do, but I would suggest buying a reman or fast ratio box from a good  rebuilder. Pumps are quite easy to get as well.

A manual box for the 71 SMA-R is 22:1 ratio. 72-73 is SMA-T and is 24:1 so slightly easier. I'm guessing you'd need to go to some ridiculous ratio like 30:1 to make it easier still, but you'd be turning the steering wheel for a week just to make a corner.

A stock PS box is 17.5:1 SPA-S, U and a variable ratio is 16:1 to 13:1, SPA-T for example. (Depending on year)

Geoff.

What steering wheel do you have? A larger diameter steering wheel provides more leverage, easier to turn.

I remember back-in-the-day when small diameter steering wheels were popular on hot rods, and other cars, a lot of people learned about the theories of leverage the hard way.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Steroids

2) Pizza cutter width front wheels and tires

3) Larger diameter steering wheel

4) Higher tire pressure.

5) EPAS (electric power steering retrofit)

6) Traditional power steering.

Also- might be able to tweak your alignment to make it easier to turn at the cost of performance (less Caster).... maybe.

The Ford manual boxes in these cars are like driving an aircraft carrier. Half turn to get the car to respond, then keep turning.

FWIW, the Saginaw PS with the variable ratio is perfect and a freshly rebuilt box will have a nice firm feel.

I have never driven one with the variable ratio box, so I cannot comment on that. I had mine converted to a quick ratio and also upgraded to a new style pump (looks like canned ham) so I could run lower pressure to get better steering feel. I am extremely happy. A good alignment is a must!!!

Back