Staggered Shocks

Staggered Shocks

• Total voters

Tnfastbk

VIP Members
Staff member
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Ok from the other thread lets just see how many Mach 1's either have staggered shocks or dont

AkWolf

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1 Hardtop (knotchback) 302W, C4 automatic tranny
How can you tell if they are staggered or not? And whats the difference?

Tnfastbk

VIP Members
Staff member
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Not a 71/73 but the principal is the same Staggered you have one on each side (front and back) of the rear end housing.

stagerrear shocks 1968_ford_shelby_GT500KR_mustang+.jpg

droptop73

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
One shock mounts behind the rear axle and the other mounts in front of the axle.

Last edited by a moderator:

hyena429

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
staggered ...one in front of rear end and one on back of the rear end...at an angle.....It was a way of getting rid of wheel hop so you dont break your rear end or trans while buring out......Like old steve mcqeen had on bullet when you seen him back up..He had bad wheel hop..They where just figuring out how to get rid of that in our years..Mine has them factory as part of the package

Tnfastbk

VIP Members
Staff member
Site Supporters
Reaction score
One shock mounts behind the rear axle and the other mounts in front of the axle.
LOL hey I just said that:p

staggered ...one in front of rear end and one on back of the rear end...at an angle.....It was a way of getting rid of wheel hop so you dont break your rear end or trans while buring out......Like old steve mcqeen had on bullet when you seen him back up..He had bad wheel hop..They where just figuring out how to get rid of that in our years..Mine has them factory as part of the package
Does not seem to work real well for my car:mad::huh:

goodnigh

VIP Members
Staff member
Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
They came on my '71 Grande. Go figure.

mike

thundertc64

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 H code Mach 1
No staggered on mine it's just a lowly 73 H code , but plan on converting later down the line

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
It seems that staggered shocks are more a function of drivetrain than body style. I have a 71 Sportroof with 351C 4V and C6 that has them.

turtle5353

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Mines a mach 1 but originally came with 302 and c4. I do not have staggered shocks. I have a 351 2v now with around 400hp and have no wheel hop problems. Actually dont have much traction at all LOL!!

I am running 3.73 gears also.

hyena429

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
It seems that staggered shocks are more a function of drivetrain than body style. I have a 71 Sportroof with 351C 4V and C6 that has them.
Thats cause your car come with a 351 4v....From what i know and read... Staggered rear drag racing shocks were fitted to 351--4-bbl. V-8--and greater-powered cars. ....So pretty much the high preformers got them....And alot of car collectors will dout the pedegree of our years of cars just from a simple glance at the rear end lol..Cause so many had diffrent motors dropped in them over the years and that can be faked of cource..But hardly thought about back when some one wanted to make a boss or ram air cleveland out of a 302 car..lol

Latest posts