Steering/ Wheel Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul113 came up with a way to resolve the small pin on the Lares joint

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-steering-coupler-problem-solved
 Yes, an easy fix IF one was that worried about it. The length of the pins is what I see as more important. So why did Scott Drake make them so short and ineffective? 

As for the Lares 201, I would think they are intended for other applications as Saginaw boxes are used far more on GM vehicles. No I didn't check!!

Paul113 came up with a way to resolve the small pin on the Lares joint

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-steering-coupler-problem-solved
 Yes, an easy fix IF one was that worried about it. The length of the pins is what I see as more important. So why did Scott Drake make them so short and ineffective? 

As for the Lares 201, I would think they are intended for other applications as Saginaw boxes are used far more on GM vehicles. No I didn't check!!
 While suffering through a sleepless night last night, my thoughts went back to the different size of pins on the Ford rag joint.

Could it just have been a case of Ford wanting a quick indexing method so that line workers did not assemble the steering wheel shaft 180 deg. off?? Sounds like a plan to me man!

Yes the Lares 201 is the correct one for the Ford Mustang Saginaw s/box. Saginaw do have GM applications with the same leg configuration and some of theses may well have the 3/4" input shaft. It is possible that someone has replaced the original with a GM box, but with a 3/4" input. In which case, the Lares 202 would be correct.

While I was searching for a suitable donor box at the local junk yard, I needed to find one with a good recirculating power valve to repair my so-called rebuilt s/box, I came across several that had 3/4" shafts and without the torque rod extending through the splined coupler. While some of these could have been for other Ford vehicles, I'm sure most were for GM. I ended up buying a correct box from Don at OMS, so hopefully it has a good P/valve in it. I'll be finding that out soon.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a little more research and it looks like Lares sells a 10:1 quick ratio box (some say it's actually 12:1) for about $200, so I think I'll probably go with that, plus the pieces that go with it. Planning on calling them up and double checking everything will fit and what parts I'll need to bolt it in.

I did a little more research and it looks like Lares sells a 10:1 quick ratio box (some say it's actually 12:1) for about $200, so I think I'll probably go with that, plus the pieces that go with it. Planning on calling them up and double checking everything will fit and what parts I'll need to bolt it in
Interesting! Let us know what you fin out from them.

I called Lares, and they actually don't make new boxes, just modify the originals like on powersteering.com, and they're about $200 through Rockauto, so I'm definitely going with their conversion and probably one of their rag joints to go along with it. They normally have the reconditioned boxes in stock but they're out right now so I'll have to send the original in. Unfortunately none of the shops around me want to do the work because it'll be sitting around for at least a week while the box is getting rebuilt. Hopefully someone can do it for me before I drive down to Pittsburgh in March. And yes, I could do it myself, but I don't have any free time now that I'm back in school. And my parents don't want it sitting out in the driveway either... Especially now that the thermostat housing is leaking too...

Back