Tail Panel removal - need procedure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those following my tail panel saga, I did a test run of cutting out the middle section using the Taiwanese panel. The previous owner did a nice job cutting out the middle rusted section of tail panel. I'm confident I can graft in the missing section using the NOS panel and make it look good with weld,metal filler/primer. There is nothing wrong with the light bezel sections on the car now. I know the purists out there are going to think this is a troll, but I don't want to gamble and take this to a body shop only to find out they tear the tail panel out and do a worse job that I would have.

What's the difference between adding metal filler on the outer edges of the panel at the quarters, or in this middle section where it will be covered by honeycomb and bumper anyway ?

Let me know what you think.

Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 6.01.53 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 6.04.11 AM.png

This is just my unqualified opinion as I'm not a bodywork "expert", but if it were me, I'd replace the entire panel. My thinking is this; If the picture of the inside (pic #2) has that much rust already in the steel, before too long it's going to eat through and cause pin holes, or worse, around the taillights. Even if you use rust killer, I wouldn't trust it.
Going back to when I did mine, the only rust on the entire car was pin holes around the taillights. There had at some time, been some light damage to the panel, but that was entirely fixable, the rust wasn't, so out it came.
However, it's your car, your decision.

This is just my unqualified opinion as I'm not a bodywork "expert", but if it were me, I'd replace the entire panel. My thinking is this; If the picture of the inside (pic #2) has that much rust already in the steel, before too long it's going to eat through and cause pin holes, or worse, around the taillights. Even if you use rust killer, I wouldn't trust it.
Going back to when I did mine, the only rust on the entire car was pin holes around the taillights. There had at some time, been some light damage to the panel, but that was entirely fixable, the rust wasn't, so out it came.
However, it's your car, your decision.
The #2 pic is the NOS tail panel sitting under the original piece previous owner cut out. It's way more rusty than the ebay pictures let on.

I’d take a hard look at your tail panel where the light gaskets make contact. Honestly the tail panel is an “easy” job as the weld points are hidden by the tail extensions and rear bumper. Personally I’d replace the entire panel. I’ve done it on my 71. Get good lighting, clean everything so you can see and get to work. If needed use some liquid courage such as vodka.

Don’t do it if you are a gorilla and will let frustration and brute force take over.

I replaced the whole panel, glad I did. Sometimes, just doing a whole panel is easier than trying to piece something in.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.4 MB
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.8 MB
Back