Total drivetrain swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach73

Reaction score
My Car
'73 Mach 1
Hey guys, got a few crazy questions. My engine, 302, blew 2 days ago and I have been wanting for a long time to drop a 460 in her. So I was wondering about buying a late 80s donor truck with a 460, zf5, and 10.25 rear end.

I know the 460 will fit with change of mounts, but what about that zf5 in the tyranny tunnel?

Also, will that big ole rear-end slide in there?

I am a Welder fabricator, and don't mind making parts, however I'm not going to beat the tranny tunnel in. I know this is sort of extreme but just need to know if it will fit. Thanks in advance

That transmission has a granny low, which would never be needed in a Mustang, plus it is big with a big bell housing, plus the shifter would likely hit the dash. The rear end will not fit, it is way too wide, plus it would likely hit the gas tank, plus, whether it has an 8 bolt lug pattern or 5 bolt it will have a different lug pattern than the front.

No need to reinvent the wheel and make extra work for yourself. Search 460's on Craigslist and find one with a C6 attached and install everything with factory mounts. If you are going to do a lot of racing, then upgrade the rear axle to a 9".

You could use a later model 460, but the heads won't line up to older carbureted intake manifolds, so in my opinion, they are good for block cores only.

Here in MI there are usually a couple of motor/trans combos for sale for under a grand that would fit the bill nicely.

Just my $0.02...

Thanks guys, was trying to find a donor with everything needed. I'd like a 460, with OD. 9" rears are hard to find here without ordering a new one. And building up a tranny to handle the 5-600 hp I'm aiming for seems pretty expensive. My end goal would be 50/50 track street. She has a 302, c4, and 8in rear. I realize anyway I go is going to cost quite a bit, just looking for the cheapest way to accomplish this build. Any ideas? Or is ordering all new parts going to be about the size of it. She's a fat car and I know not the best choice for a strip car, not trying to set any records. But I figure a 460 and a 4.1/4.5 rear gear would give her a good push in the right direction.

I would look for an older model with unpopular body style to get the max number of parts you're wanting. I also suggest you look for an engine with D0VE heads unless you're planning to go with CJ/SCJ or aftermarket heads. It may be a bit tougher to find a car with the big block , C6, and the correct rear end housing for your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with fitting an auto OD to a 385 series engine is trains tunnel clearance, I think the later model E4OD's are larger cases and are tough to fit. Maybe a C6 with a supplemental OD like a Gear Vendors? As for the rear, if you want a bolt-in, you're limited to 71-73's or like year Torinos and intermediates. Or like you said, completely new...

If you want more than stock power levels, your best route might not be trying to find donor parts, just pick up a crate motor, order up a trans...

Been researching the last 2 days... even looked at GM trans but I think the reason most don't have OD is due to the power. After markets I have found are $4.5k for torque rating of 550. Think I'll just go the c6 route like everyone else.

As far as heads and other parts idc, all will be replaced eventually. Found a 78 ranger close by with a 460 and c6 in her, even had a 9 in rear but it's 65 inches wide. And I wanna say its one that can't be shortened.

Idk, got big block fever after hearing my friends dad fire up his 68 challenger with that hemi. Sounded like 2 sbfs under the hood. Tired of having that mach 1 sticker stuck on a fat grocery getter. I'll figure it out. But I do appreciate the replies thoroughly.

Not sure how extensive you want to get into the modifications to make this work, but you may want to consider a 4R70W mated to the 460 with an adapter.

-Kurt

Back