trunk access no key

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach73

Reaction score
My Car
'73 Mach 1
locked keys in trunk of 73 mach 1... i know... phone rang and i was cussing before it closed.

how do i get into the rear without busting that cardboard piece? TY in advance, trying to get to beach before dark.

lower rear seat pushes back then pulls up

2 - 3/8 hex head bolts hold in the back of the upper seat section

Remove them and it will lift up

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem when I first bought mine... I simply (and literally) ripped open the trunk lid, much to the chagrin of the others in the shop... probably looked pretty scary.

Fact is, the entire area around the trunk lock was rusted like crazy and stood no chance. I did get a lot of 'Holy Cow' looks and a little more respect as a result though.

Good luck... long arms, indeed.

locked keys in trunk of 73 mach 1... i know... phone rang and i was cussing before it closed.

how do i get into the rear without busting that cardboard piece? TY in advance, trying to get to beach before dark.
When you get them out do us all a favor and tell us what finally worked ..I'm some of will need that information in the future.

Jim

When you get them out do us all a favor and tell us what finally worked ..I'm some of will need that information in the future.

Jim
Jim,

I have a spare set of keys ziptied in the engine compartment in a hidden area, only me, my wife, and kids know where it is.

we got locked out at a car show once, it will never happen agian!!.

Jim
Jim,

I have a spare set of keys ziptied in the engine compartment in a hidden area, only me, my wife, and kids know where it is.

we got locked out at a car show once, it will never happen agian!!.
Excellant suggestion, I'm going to do it!

Jim

I had the same problem when I first bought mine... I simply (and literally) ripped open the trunk lid, much to the chagrin of the others in the shop... probably looked pretty scary.

Fact is, the entire area around the trunk lock was rusted like crazy and stood no chance. I did get a lot of 'Holy Cow' looks and a little more respect as a result though.

Good luck... long arms, indeed.
Shock and awe method?

Thanks a million for all the posts, i got to the beach just fine. did exactly what OMS said. LOL then my water pump blew right when i got there. soooo ripped it out while parts house was ordering send friend fiance to grab it on a 4 hour rd trip to Galveston due to the ferry. Yea gave me the wrong part, but the box was right so the store guy was like i dont know what to tell u man u got the right part, even tho the bolt pattern was different. i didnt fully understand how slow this here feller was till i made the trip there myself, four hoursd later got the part next morning we put the engine back together. I get about 3/4 the way home and she dies just like she has a clogged fuel filter, but i just changed the day before during the water pump fiasco of '13. Then she wont start at all... gas was spraying just fine in carb... uh oh wtf is it??? well after being in such a hurry i left my wallet at the beach cabin but luckily my dad was very close by and i was in a very not ok part of town. he gets there forty minutes later and says the sky is falling then wiggles a wire and im home free. was a lonnnnnnng trip but it was fun plenty of good looking girls beer and wrench turners i love my car

Oh and imusa76 i have been meaing to do exactly just that. ty for the great idea

Oh and imusa76 i have been meaing to do exactly just that. ty for the great idea
it's saved me a couple of times, at car shows, when I'm wiping down the car and my son closed the trunk then he remembers the keys were in there!!..

the first time it happened I was at a car show 110 miles from home.

good thing my wife was still home :) , and she was planning on headding up later on that day.

Today this happened to me. Looked for the keys everywhere and the last option was the trunk.

I have a fastback, so I ended up sliding the trap door latches with a flat screw driver from the rear seat. I made a small flat indentation with a chisel to help slide it with the screw driver. The good thing is that it worked like a charm and the keys were there. I added two pictures as a guide in case it happens to someone. The scratches you see are not from this procedure. It may have happened some time in the past.

20140918_195150_resized.jpg

20140918_195159_resized.jpg

my wife locked the keys in the trunk of the vert. its a little harder to get the keys out that way.it just so happened that that the guy next to me had a ford key around the same year and it opened the lock.i help a guy at the swap meet one time that way .

Back