What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I got the dash back in today too!

Thinking about power window switches now. All the original ones are falling apart.

Today I removed my rust front bumper support and got it shot blasted. Then primered it and am respraying it matt black as we speak.

3_zpsyrreqwuz.jpg

5_zps3c557pz2.jpg

Yesterday I removed rust from the central console ashtray surround and resprayed it satin black.

4_zpsmxz2k6fb.jpg

1_zpstph3xafq.jpg

2_zpswjhpznff.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thinking about power window switches now. All the original ones are falling apart.
Always wanted to mod my 72 convertible w/power windows but do not have the garage set up w/tools and experience for such a endeavor. The auto electric shop that does a lot of my work says its impossible unless you change out the entire door? I feel to disagree however cutting into an existing inner door panel to customize as sell, ....the expense of finding them then restoring it.....very labor intensive with the right experienced hands....guess I will have to stay with my roll downs(as if they ever go up, that is, if I am the only one in its cockpit. 'To find a perfectly low mileage w/all the options' a rare, which I would only see possible if the prior owner willed it to me upon his demise as 'who would ever give away such a treasure for what the industry's blue book value has greatly underappreciated of our 71-3 models'?

Always wanted to mod my 72 convertible w/power windows but do not have the garage set up w/tools and experience for such a endeavor. The auto electric shop that does a lot of my work says its impossible unless you change out the entire door? I feel to disagree however cutting into an existing inner door panel to customize as sell, ....the expense of finding them then restoring it.....very labor intensive with the right experienced hands....guess I will have to stay with my roll downs(as if they ever go up, that is, if I am the only one in its cockpit. 'To find a perfectly low mileage w/all the options' a rare, which I would only see possible if the prior owner willed it to me upon his demise as 'who would ever give away such a treasure for what the industry's blue book value has greatly underappreciated of our 71-3 models'?
Hi David,

I hear what you say, and a lot of guys would insist on only dealing with original Ford factory gear and no aftermarket, BUT, a few years ago, i stumbled upon this company in America, that makes power window complete systems. You may have heard of them. Nu-Relics. When i seriously checked them out i was convinced that this company makes the very best quality, complete swap over aftermarket systems in the world. I would dearly love to go ahead and buy their complete kit for replacing my factory '73 Vert manual windows to all power ones. You keep the original factory glass and the window channels, and the whole system just bolts straight in to your existing setup.

What has held me back from jumping in, is the system is not cheap, and i have found it hard to part company with about $1500.00 Australian.:-/ Anyway, if you can live without original factory power windows, then this would be THE way to go in my opinion. Check it out.

http://www.nu-relics.com/Mustang-Cougar-s/472.htm

Greg.:)

Threw in the mats I got for Christmas today
90a925167805f29d7f9e0e8c72127ae3.jpg

Sent from my BLU STUDIO X using Tapatalk
What an awesome Christmas present:)

Impossible my a#*. I know this is not a mustang but did the exact same thing to my 73 with a 4 way switch. And I didn't cut into original door panels either cut up repro panels:)

e945c99788efc0fed98a355ec415a49d.jpg

3a26629dd741a41118ff13b12bd96b62.jpg

Oh and here's the mustang done, note switch in center console:

e2454257ac7cfb23a628a4a2178d571b.jpg

d4ec6b7c7eea8ca916f3d98ad19c2c11.jpg

Sent from an iPhone please excuse the ridiculous spell correcting software. My forum thread is at http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=74944

I don't know why someone would tell you that the doors had to go. Power windows are a nut and bolt job. You would have to be sure you got every part from the donor vehicle. The front glass is different has a arch cut in the bottom to clear the P.W. drive. There rear glass is the same just add the drives. When you do it you need to pull the guides out and clean all the dried up grease and rust off and if possible get them zinc plated again.

I have one set for 71 -72 trying to find a couple missing pieces and might put in Q vert but undecided. I can also get another set for 71-72 if you are really interested. I would have to see what he is wanting now. The front power window drives you can buy anywhere lots of NOS motors and gears. The rear is unique to Mustang and Cougar and are commonly called pancake motors because they are flat and thin, $250 each if you can find.

When I get the set I have restored, taken apart all rust gone, new grease, new brushes and ready to install with all clips, glass front and rear, switches, wiring, boots for the doors and bezels I will probably ask $2,500 if I sell. You can sometimes get and unrestored set off eBay for $800 - $900 but might be missing some pieces. The picture has pretty much the entire P.W. set that I pulled out of parts car in a couple hours. You can see the arc in the front glass. 73 more difficult with riveted front windows.

I would think that you could put back in on a good weekend. There are no special tools just nuts and bolts and plug in the wires. It might take some playing with the window adjustments since everything was loose and moved. Would be a good two man job.

David

$_57[2] (2).jpg

I got to drive it today. Yeah! It's been since April of 2015. I am even happier because I thought it was leaking brake fluid and last time I tried to fire it up it smoked and one of the carbs seemed to have a stuck float which dumped gas. I went back today, hooked up a electric fuel pump and a gas can to see where the gas was coming from and, well, there was no leaks. So I put it all back together and drove it around a bit and it ran fine and the brakes worked fine (I checked the fluid of course).

I put 7 gallons of gas in it since all of the gas is from April of last year. I got three complements at the gas station and that's with a decent layer of dust on it.

Anyways, I am very stoked. This is the best time of the year to have a convertible in Phoenix...

It's at my parents house. I am probably going to swap it out for the jeep tomorrow or next weekend and get some seat time. Nice!

I got to drive it today. Yeah! It's been since April of 2015. I am even happier because I thought it was leaking brake fluid and last time I tried to fire it up it smoked and one of the carbs seemed to have a stuck float which dumped gas. I went back today, hooked up a electric fuel pump and a gas can to see where the gas was coming from and, well, there was no leaks. So I put it all back together and drove it around a bit and it ran fine and the brakes worked fine (I checked the fluid of course).

I put 7 gallons of gas in it since all of the gas is from April of last year. I got three complements at the gas station and that's with a decent layer of dust on it.

Anyways, I am very stoked. This is the best time of the year to have a convertible in Phoenix...

It's at my parents house. I am probably going to swap it out for the jeep tomorrow or next weekend and get some seat time. Nice!
I bet it is nice out there right now. We get rain all the time.

If your car is going to set make sure the tank is full and add the recommended amount of Sta Bil fuel stabilizer to the gas. Keeping it full keeps moisture out and the Sta Bil keeps the fuel from breaking down. I use in my cars & lawn mower and it sits all winter and has never failed to fire up in the spring after 10 years. Now it won't start next time,lol.

David

Threw in the mats I got for Christmas today
90a925167805f29d7f9e0e8c72127ae3.jpg

Sent from my BLU STUDIO X using Tapatalk
I like em

Well I'm still struggling to get my electrical gremlins worked out. I'm trying to make my seat belt warning light/buzzer operational and with the help of Randy (Midlife) soon I will hear that annoying buzz again when I forget to put my seat belt on. Then I'm going to tackle the radio wiring, back in the 80s somebody installed an after market am/fm 8 track and hacked up all the original wiring. Fun fun fun!

a couple of weeks ago I changed out the headlight switch and I now have dashboard lights that I can actually see how fast I'm going at night. I also got the temperature gauge to work, found an ash tray for the back seat on ebay, and put new knobs on the radio. I have one running light that has no power to the socket and I would like to clean up that issue yet. Its a nice car and I'm slowly trying to correct the few minor things that don't work.

Well, I brought her back home today. Around April of last year I left her at mom's house. I fired her up a few times and even drove her a few miles here and there when I was over there for a visit.

Today I went and got her (and left the Jeep Cherokee over there). How fun! The weather here in Phoenix is perfect for a convertible. Tomorrow she gets a good wash. I will change the oil too. Oh, and install the gas tank sending unit. I have some other things to do but mostly I am looking forward to driving her for the next couple of weeks while the weather is nice.

Taking her for a 30 plus mile drive today was awesome. I have owned my mustang for over 30 years. For a long time it was my daily driver. Getting back into the seat is like seeing an old friend again.

Yesterday I continued sanding my trunk. It seems to be going somewhere now :)

IMG_8624.JPG

I also had a look under my passenger seat coz my passenger side seatbeld warning light doesn't work and I really want it to! And guess what I saw?

IMG_8627.jpg

They don't reach after previous owners put in new carpet. I guess I'll be making a hole in that carpet soon or fix something else coz now I can't wait to see if it works :)

Vinnie, You could jumper wire them to test them without cutting your carpet first. At least you would know if it was going to be a simple fix or not.

I got my rear brakes repaired with new brackets from Mustang Steve to replace the rear Baer conversion brackets. I cut the new brackets to match the Baer profile so I could slide them on without replacing axle bearings. (He does not endorse this modification) Rock Auto got me a new Caliper with bracket and pads, American Muscle got me a new wheel and I ordered a custom brake hose that arrived on Saturday. All the suppliers got me my parts in 3-4 days. I still have to repair my parking brake as the cables were pulled apart by the caliper slamming into the wheel. I have the parts laying around, but it is cold.

I spent most of the weekend working on my buddy's rat rod making patterns for the windows, making a Bullet Bourbon bottle into an overflow tank, finishing off some wiring, helping to finish the dash install, making limiter straps for the doors and starting some body work. (it's a rat rod, so the body work won't be too extensive, just skimming bondo over some repairs and getting it to look like a rat rod, not a piece of shit) I also worked on my welding with some scrap. Made a vacuum tank out of some 3" exhaust pipe, but still need to put a nipple on it to see if I got it airtight. I won't use it without redoing it, but I did need the practice.

Weather permitting, I might finish the parking brake tonight, or I might sit on the couch and start working on a new overflow bottle.

Took the car out for a drive today both freeway and city. It ran really well considering its been sitting for a few months now. Then took it to my storage unit to store for awhile to clean up the garage and get ready for my tear down on my next project.

Still biding my time looking for $$ and a guy in the Reno area that can replace the floors since the passengers side has a rust hole in it. Also found out as is typical with our years its a mother to find the seat risers for it (figure if your going to replace the floor they would come with each side (NOPE) Not Integrated, so located the only two i could find from marlyandmustang.com and just arrived so have to get the box from the warehouse manager and peek.

I know this one is beyond my skills as i don't weld and its a Uni-body so have to brace the car if you chop the floors out and dont want to have alignment issues with doors etc if its done wrong.

Back