What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I wish I could say I had done something significant, but all I accomplished last night was to build a seat base to mount the passenger side Kirkey aluminum seat. It is just a pair of gutted rails with 1/2 wide steel strips welded to them to support the aluminum brackets. It did come out square and I have 1/16th of an inch total clearance between the seat and brackets so it is shug. Hit it with a coat of roll bar paint. Still need a few pieces of hardware before I mount the seat though.

Got the block painted up at lunch. It was still a little chilly in the garage 60 degrees but 76 outside. So I took the heat gun to the block to heat it up slightly so it wasn't as cool (obviously I'm not heating up a cast iron block very much with a heat gun). Turned out pretty good. Painted the block while still assembled with the old heads and such since the new heads, water pump, and intake were done already. Now to start the tear down of the top end. Paint laid down really nice. I am happy with the results. (And Yes I know it is not the correct blue, it is a custom mix that I wanted)

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

engine4.jpg

That royal PITA job of adding the blackout to the all chrome aftermarket '71 tail light assembly lenses... Time consuming but the end result was worth it...

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

That royal PITA job of adding the blackout to the all chrome aftermarket '71 tail light assembly lenses... Time consuming but the end result was worth it...
Nice.... i finally understand where is the blackout. I read about it but it was not clear until i saw your picture. Awesome.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Not a damn thing, but I got my Harley running and started working on getting my Buell White Lightning back to the land of the living-new battery and ignition coil, pulled the carb and disassembled it and cleaned out some gunk that I guess was ethanol related-looked like bacon grease or lanolin, Need a few new gaskets and the accelerator pump is working but of questionable condition. Parts on order-should take an hour to put it back together and reinstall on bike. Fingers crossed it will work.

So now I have a few days to get back to putting the last bits of the interior in the mustang until I can get to the lift and weld some anchor plates in for the harnesses

I wanted to replace the turn signal hardware and wiring, thought it wouldn't be hard. I was wrong...

Took me 2 hours to get it disconnected:

IMG_4271.JPG

And then I was missing a socket thin enough to get the bloody screws out:

IMG_4276.JPG

End of story until I get thinner sockets...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleaned up and painted the front and rear windshield channels in preparation for the headliner installation. When I took down the original headliner I found a total mess left by deteriorating insulation and mice presents. I cannot believe the previous owner, who was an electrician, wired the map light using lamp cord and wire nuts, WTF !!! lol

free image hosting

image hosting

Saturday, I decided to take Frank in for his annual inspection, and promptly discovered that his horn was silent.  Well, crap.  I was planning on going to the Auto Hobby Shop afterward anyway, so I just went there directly instead, with the intent to repair the horn and swap the power window motors from the crappy Autolocs to the SPALs.  They were having an "Open House" called "Hot Dogs & Hot Rods," which in all honesty - was a huge waste of time.  There were only 6 or 7 cars - mine was the coolest, of course... seriously, all they had was a really nice new GMC truck, a Mazda Speed 3, an old Plymouth Volare`, a BMW 3-series 'vert (no idea what year), a fairly new Chevy Malibu, and the manager's ratty old sprint car/hot rod (which was actually pretty cool) - and yes, they had hot dogs... also a bounce house.  Because they were expecting some little kids, they shut the shop down and wouldn't allow anyone to actually work on their cars.  Whatta load of crap.

Oh well, I got to meet up with Auron73mach1 and gave him the Mach 1 keychain I bought for him.  After a couple of overpriced hours-old hot dogs and a few hours just sittin' around shooting the breeze, I raised the B.S. Flag and left.

But, at least I got to take the Mustang out for a spin on a nice day - which made up for all the other weirdness.

Oh - and the speedometer just started working on its own on the way home... SCORE!! (I guess the cable finally seated itself in)

Last night I continued work on the trunk.

I brushed two coats of UPOL bed liner mainly on the horizontal surfaces and drop down area. These coats were over the Rust Bullet coats. For the bedliner, the first coat was with a brush and for the second I used a plastic "hairy" roller. I think the texture looks pretty good. However, I am not to worry about a perfect texture since it will be covered with trunk paint which has its own texture.

20170313_122842.jpg

20170313_122907.jpg

1971 M-code Mach 1

I brushed two coats of UPOL bed liner mainly on the horizontal surfaces and drop down area. These coats were over the Rust Bullet coats. For the bedliner, the first coat was with a brush and for the second I used a plastic "hairy" roller. I think the texture looks pretty good. However, I am not to worry about a perfect texture since it will be covered with trunk paint which has its own texture.

1971 M-code Mach 1
Looks good tony! Ireally like the Upol stuff. Works great. and if you use the gun its lays down really nice.

1971 M-code Mach 1
Looks good tony! Ireally like the Upol stuff. Works great. and if you use the gun its lays down really nice.
Thanks. I got the idea of using these products from your posts. I dont have a paint gun but for this application it worked well without it. The plastic roller worked like a charm. The combination of Rust Bullet and bedliner are creating a very tough coat. Probably overkill.....

1971 M-code Mach 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you need a special gun to shoot that stuff but the good thing it only costs about $30. If you clean it well it will last a long time. I use it to spray chip guard also from upol. I think it's called gravitex?? Really nice stuff.

Back