What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8be59eb1531651ef419e2d3c07397931.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today I had to take my car in for bi-annual inspection.

Because I've had troubles hot starting for years I never really turn my engine off untill I reach my destination. Also last weekend the engine held back when I pushed down and of course I had the recent coil failure. And then there's the heat-issue and traces of a coolant leak on the thermostat housing. Plenty of things to make me a little nervous.

The car started right up this morning, beautiful. Engine ran well, never held back. Coz of equipment malfunctioning I was send to another garage. Lots of stopping the engine and hot starting. Fired right up every time, after 5 minutes, 10 minutes or an hour.

On top of all this joy it passed the tests without any fixes and it's road worthy for another 2 years :)

I'm a very happy chappy today :)

Cheers,

Vincent.

I'm glad you passed! Those so called "Engineers" at these inspection places are a joke. Everything that didn't come on any car originally has to be inspected (be it tires, spoilers or even different seats) and approved by them. LOL! If they don't approve you'd have to have it fixed properly (or remove) and then go back for re-inspection. Every time you go there you'd have to pay inspection fees, it's just a money making scam for their coffers. There was a guy with a 1971 Mustang Convertible, they wouldn't approve the ORIGINAL turn signals so they gave that guy 2 options...One, to not drive the car at all or 2 to install amber square blinkers mount them in the rear (you could not have 2 turn signals per side (only one per side by law) at that time (late 80's) and believe you me that was an UGLY sight! If you don't pass you won't be able to re-register the car. So they passed him. I met this guy at a car show and that's what he told me when I asked him about his additional amber tail lights. He also had to cut the original wires to the blinkers and attach them to the amber ones. What a nightmare. So I told the guy that my car didn't need to go through all that because their inspection places are all over, some specialize in U S cars and others don't. Different rules for sure!

Working on the distributor, intake and carb upgrade last night. The last week or so the car didn't seem to be running quite right like the timing was all over the place when you were accelerating. (had planned the distributor upgrade before this) Well when I pulled the distributor out to my surprise I only got the top half. The shaft sheared off but broke in such a way that it would still turn the distributor. Fished out the bottom half. Just a warning on buying cheap Chinese junk on eBay. DON'T DO IT!!!!

Working on the distributor, intake and carb upgrade last night. The last week or so the car didn't seem to be running quite right like the timing was all over the place when you were accelerating. (had planned the distributor upgrade before this) Well when I pulled the distributor out to my surprise I only got the top half. The shaft sheared off but broke in such a way that it would still turn the distributor. Fished out the bottom half. Just a warning on buying cheap Chinese junk on eBay. DON'T DO IT!!!!
Wow!! Incredible that the distributor was still turning. I am surprised it broke above the gear where the turning torque shouldn't be that great. Below the gear it had to turn the oil pump.

Got all the surfaces cleaned up. Installed the new Air Gap intake, quick fuel carb, and D.U.I distributor from performance distributors. Got the initial timing set (12 BTDC), carb all adjusted. runs great, wasn't able to take it for a test drive as the rain started coming down and supposed to continue through Sat morning :(. Will have to do something about how the wires are routed though. Looks like crap.

4 wheel alignment at home.  String method!

kcmash

Most mechanical system are working now, and I have finally got confidence that the car will get me home.  I have driven  more miles this year then the past 8 years I've she's been road ready.  I've said it before and will repeat it, "still jump in the seat from horns going off from other drivers who like my car".  I have painted my lower 1/4's and NASA hood black.  Pictures will follow soon.  

Alan L.

Continuing on with the “thou shall not drill holes to mount aftermarket stuff”

Bracket made and aluminum nut for inside frame rail.  Bolts on using the two holes above the drivers side sway bar mount.  It is a filter that is going on my power steering, trying to get it low and forward of the headers so it acts as a bit of a cooler too.

I have finally installed my engine in the car, did 90% myself since no helpers around. My kiddo came home from work and helped me to line everything up. These last steps seemed to take the longest, I could've not finished it without him. This actually the third marriage in her life that I know of, LOL!

car insurance for one person

Last edited by a moderator:
I have finally installed my engine in the car, did 90% myself since no helpers around. My kiddo came home from work and helped me to line everything up. These last steps seemed to take the longest, I could've not finished it without him. This actually the third marriage in her life that I know of, LOL!
Congrats. Looks awesome. When are you driving it?

If you install the whole package by yourself I can see it needing help with alignment. Especially with the headers on.

My approach was slightly different. I got the engine in without headers or trans. The headers were in the car so i got the engine around them. Then i got the trans in. May take a little longer but not bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank You! It went in pretty smooth with headers and everything on it, just had to take off the grille and bumper support brackets. But to get it to line up with engine and transmission bracket/holes was the hardest. The angle of the whole thing was pretty steep LOL. She needs both quarters replaced and after that get a nice 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust (perhaps polished) installed, then cam break in! Rockers have not been adjusted either. Hopefully in primer or even painted by the end of this year. Hopefully driving by spring/summer depending on how things go. Two steps forward, one step back ha ha.

Today was ....

Dash pad install and Carpet. Getting there slowly. Tomorrow will put the quarter panels back in and tidy up

Last weekend was windows for the front and rear. What a mission

Oh and I hate doing carpet

Power steering hoses and driveshaft. Driveshaft is aluminum made up with Sonnax parts. Power steering pressure hose is Aeroquip (easy to work with). The return hoses were a total pain. Lesson learned is not to mix and match hose and fitting brands. The Fragola brand fittings had barbs that were larger than the Earl’s.

Power steering hoses and driveshaft.  Driveshaft is aluminum made up with Sonnax parts.  Power steering pressure hose is Aeroquip (easy to work with). The return hoses were a total pain.  Lesson learned is not to mix and match hose and fitting brands.  The Fragola brand fittings had barbs that were larger than the Earl’s.  
The underside looks so clean. Missing the big exhaust pipes :whistling:.

Did you measure the driveshaft angles? Just curious on how they are. After installing my TKO I had to shim the rear diff 4 degrees up.

Back