What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a bunch of time over the last month working on the 71 Cougar. It was getting water inside and I knew the cowl had a small rot spot, Noticed the rear window gasket had a couple splits, just didn't realize the rear window channel was blown out as well. Completely stripped out the interior, repaired the cowl, rear window channel and a bunch of pinholes in the floors. Installed new speakers and wired up the stereo, put the AC coil back in the heater box with correct seals and all the vacuum motors the PO left out. Several coats of RustBullet on the repaired floors, seam sealer and sound deadening all around. PO had butchered holes in the package tray so I laser cut a set of grilles and glued them in place with a couple coats of the correct interior blue. Buttoned it all up yesterday and took it for a ride. The difference in the interior volume is amazing, not a sqeak or rattle at all. Not worrying about water intrusion is a big bonus. Still lots of other small projects to do, but

View attachment 81262

View attachment 81255

View attachment 81257

View attachment 81256

View attachment 81258

View attachment 81259

View attachment 81260

View attachment 81261
Wow looks great! The speakers grilles are such an improvement over what the PO installed. With all that sound deadening, I bet it's as quiet as a Cadillac and the stereo must sound much fuller without the competing road noise. And bonus, no water intrusion, win/win.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I was originally going to section them into the package tray, but decided my time was better spent on other projects. Stereo sounds good enough for just two 6x9s and a head unit. I'll add a dual dash speaker soon to balance out the sound. It's very quiet inside, all you can hear are the goofy Flowtech Warlock mufflers the PO installed. We had a fair amount of rain yesterday, so I left the car outside to test it under real world conditions. Found a couple more small leaks that are all trunk related, and a couple from the vinyl top fasteners, all easy fixes.

I've been working on my friend's seats (Mike, my cars' painter) for his 67 Chevelle. Over the weekend, I stripped and blasted and painted the frames. Last night I wove mechanics wire through the springs to stiffen up the seat. I also added the burlap so they are now ready for me to start the upholstery. I am trying to get this seat done, the rest of the seats are done and installed, and some windshield and rear window stainless (you can see it is missing in pic) straightened, sanded and polished in time for him to take it to the last of the local shows near our homes. It is a car he bought 37 years ago with no engine and started the resto 9 or 10 years ago. He has never driven the car in all those years and I am hoping he can at least take it to a show once this summer. We have the mechanical, body, and the rest of the interior done just need to get this seat done and installed before Tuesday next week. T-minus seven days, I also need to double check timing and carb settings and install deck lid weather strip but those are quick fixes.🤞
P.S. You can tell why my car's paint always looks good by the flawless Candy Brandywine over silver metallic paint on his car, in the sun that color pops!

Attachments

• Chevelle seat 2.jpg
    Chevelle seat 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Chevelle seat 1.jpg
    Chevelle seat 1.jpg
    877.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Chevelle seat 5.jpg
    Chevelle seat 5.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Chevelle seat 3.jpg
    Chevelle seat 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Chevelle seat 4.jpg
    Chevelle seat 4.jpg
    931 KB · Views: 0
  • Chevelle seat 7.jpg
    Chevelle seat 7.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_6766.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6766.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Moved a bunch of new parts for the Jeep into the garage staging area for when my pal Dave shows up in a few weeks to help get my CJ-7 running and back on the road. I'm setting it up for retirement and beyond, and took a big swing at finally getting it the way I want it going forward. I bought another '80 CJ-7 (Laredo) with a 304 V8 & TF999 automatic, swapped the drivetrain, and sent the Laredo home with Dave. Now, I just need to finish up getting mine back together. Cosmetically, it'll appear pretty much the same, but I've upsized to 35" SSRs on new rims, swapped-up to newer paddle-handle doors, upgraded to an early model YJ top (bigger windows and lighter), and upgraded the lighting system to LEDs and H4 halo headlights (for DRL purposes - looks cool, too). I also got a new JVC AM/FM/BT/USB head unit to replace the cassette deck (which still works, actually), along with a complete BedRug carpet kit, and a SPAL power window kit for the doors (planning on keeping the lid on during the summer and use the A/C).

It's been a minute since I last posted to this, so a quick catch-up.

Here we are the day I brought home the Laredo:
IMG_0758.JPG

Here's how he sits now with the 35s, new rims, YJ top, and paddle-handle doors. Gotta paint the doors to match, add the Swamper stripe, and hit the top with some Raptor liner so it looks 'normal' again:

IMG_20220319_154923711_HDR.jpg

The engine was a mess, but turned freely, hissing and burping everywhere its supposed to, so I'm optimistic it'll run just fine.
P82A0212.jpg

The transmission and transfer case were a major mess as well. All the gunk was from a broken mechanical oil pressure gauge line (I hate those things).
IMG_20211226_154941199_HDR.jpg

Patience, 3 days, a good set of scrapers and wire brushes, a big spoon, and a can or two of Castrol Purple Power spray gel engine degreaser, and we're good as new:
IMG_20211227_170830335.jpg

The 304 got a ton of bolt-on goodies, and should be good for 250-260hp (without a complete rebuild... if it's a dud, it'll get worked over by the machine shop): Edelbrock Pro-Flo MPFI, Patriot Clippster headers, dual Magnaflow exhaust, Jeep Air A/C (to replace the factory unit I gave away years ago), HEI and a complete engine harness restoration (midlife would be proud):

IMG_20230326_181710966.jpg

Of course, I had to take on a rusty ol' project. Here's the brake pedal assembly while I'm cleaning it up and keeping it real with the Mach 1 in the background (since Dave needed the clutch pedal for his Jeep):
IMG_20220116_145407396_HDR.jpg

It cleaned up nice.
IMG_20220116_165856888.jpg

The steering column was also a royal mess, missing parts, and overall not usable:
IMG_20220116_161511789_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220117_162326584_HDR.jpg

I got lucky I found all the parts I needed, since it's a GM column it wasn't too tough.
IMG_20220320_175445123_HDR.jpg

I also decided that my homemade bumper, as cool as I think it looks, is not really all that safe, so I now have a replacement Fishbone Piranha bumper to swap. I'm debating on whether to remove the winch, and put it back on when I decide to go to Moab or somewhere cool (this isn't my Jeep, but it's the bumper I ordered, along with the D-rings):

Fishbone Bumper1.jpg

The new H4 halo headlights aren't the gaudy ones, either - I might actually consider a set for the Mustang - the Oracle H4 is on the passenger side, with the old Omega H4 on the driver side - looks 'close enough' to old school for me:
IMG_20220926_133142199.jpg

Lit up and looks pretty cool, IMHO. I have a set of 100mm LED trim rings that I'm working on for the signals, so they can be halos as well: IMG_20230416_182108366_HDR.jpg

Sneak peek at the signal halos - gonna wire them into the headlight halos, and I have some 1157A LEDs for the parking/signal bulbs - should be bright enough (I also have some 1" amber LEDs I'll be adding to the corners of the FishBone bumper as signals, since the winch is so 'in the way' for others cars off to the side):
IMG_20230904_204504107.jpg

I've had a herniated disc between L5 & S1 since April, and the weather's been in triple-digits ever since, so the Jeep's pretty much been sitting the whole time. I was about 3 wires, a vent hose routing, and topping off fluids away from turning the key. Hopefully, when Dave gets here in a few weeks, the weather and my back will have us celebrating getting the Jeep running again.

Sorry for the novel, but as I mentioned, it's been a bit since I updated and this is what's been going on.

Last edited:
I've been working on my friend's seats (Mike, my cars' painter) for his 67 Chevelle. Over the weekend, I stripped and blasted and painted the frames. Last night I wove mechanics wire through the springs to stiffen up the seat. I also added the burlap so they are now ready for me to start the upholstery. I am trying to get this seat done, the rest of the seats are done and installed, and some windshield and rear window stainless (you can see it is missing in pic) straightened, sanded and polished in time for him to take it to the last of the local shows near our homes. It is a car he bought 37 years ago with no engine and started the resto 9 or 10 years ago. He has never driven the car in all those years and I am hoping he can at least take it to a show once this summer. We have the mechanical, body, and the rest of the interior done just need to get this seat done and installed before Tuesday next week. T-minus seven days, I also need to double check timing and carb settings and install deck lid weather strip but those are quick fixes.🤞
P.S. You can tell why my car's paint always looks good by the flawless Candy Brandywine over silver metallic paint on his car, in the sun that color pops!
I finally got around to finishing the last seat for my friends Chevelle. Now I can get back to working on my Mach 1 again. You can see my fold down seat in the back ground of the one picture, desperately in need of recovering. The previous owner upholstered my Mustang's seats in a silver vinyl that remind me of Battle Star Galactica, LOL. Rebuilding my seats will be a project for after the body work is done. For now, I am hoping to paint the inside of my car next weekend. I bought two quarts of Wimbledon white base coat and some clear and if I can carve out time. I plan to start prepping the inner panels in the evenings. I hope to dust off the old spray gun and paint next Sunday, weather permitting.🤞

Attachments

• Chevelle seat 8.jpg
    Chevelle seat 8.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Chevelle seat 9.jpg
    Chevelle seat 9.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Chevelle seat 10.jpg
    Chevelle seat 10.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_8393.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8393.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dropped the last tree Friday that needed to go in order to start the garage renovation. Had a coworker who climbs come over and rig the tree up. Took us two hours and it was pieces on the ground. It'll be next year's firewood.

1695643387695.png

1695643375095.png

1695643443693.png

Just returned from a trip/fishing to Canada. Alway like going after Labor day, much easier to get campsites with no reservations. My wife and I caught a bunch of walleyes, pike and a 53" muskie. If I worked on my 73 as much as I fished I may have something, someday... Leaving for Ontario in a couple of weeks for more.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230910_135326_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230910_135326_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230907_115931_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_115931_Gallery.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 0
Just returned from a trip/fishing to Canada. Alway like going after Labor day, much easier to get campsites with no reservations. My wife and I caught a bunch of walleyes, pike and a 53" muskie. If I worked on my 73 as much as I fished I may have something, someday... Leaving for Ontario in a couple of weeks for more.
Right on! Looks like a really nice walley and muskie you got there!

Just goofing around and 3D printed a wall "art" of a 71-73 silhouette for next to my desk. Not sure if it'll stay there or end on on a tool cabinet, but I've always liked that silhouette drawing so figured I may as well look at it. Might reprint in carbon next time I load some up.

1696723035692.png1696723050187.png

Got another project. I have had an oddball Toyota engine for a couple years now waiting for a home. Toyota 18RG meet your new home, a 1967 Toyota Stout. Both are rare in the US, this will be a rolling restoration unlike my Mustang.
Wow, love the old stout. Haven't seen one in the wild in years. Very cool project

Got another project. I have had an oddball Toyota engine for a couple years now waiting for a home. Toyota 18RG meet your new home, a 1967 Toyota Stout. Both are rare in the US, this will be a rolling restoration unlike my Mustang.

View attachment 82182View attachment 82181
There's a Stout listed on Bring a Trailer. When it rains, it pours!

Cleaned up the back house gettin' ready to rent it. Also pondering this back panel and stripping the primer off.

Attachments

• IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Took the Cougar out to the final Cars N Coffee of the year. Had a huge turnout. Rick took some drone videos of the event, they're on his FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/rick.moroso
I rebuilt a 9" center and installed it on Thursday, so needed to put some miles on it to break in the gears. Makes a little noise at 60-ish, but nothing objectional. Hopefully - fingers crossed - it stays that way. This one is going into storage this winter, keeping the wagon home to do some work on it.

1699294554921.png

Yesterday I road tripped it to Missouri. I picked up my new (to me) tilt column and rim blow steering wheel that I purchased form 72Mustangsprint Joe. I drove down to Missouri to CWalker509 Chris's place where Joe and Chris were disassembling the Mustang coupe that Joe sold the shell to Chris for front end body parts for Chris's vert. Not Chris' beautiful Grabber Blue vert, (which is even more stunning in person by the way) but the heavily optioned red one that he is planning to bring back from the dead. The donor shell is the car that Joe sold me the tilt column out of. It was nice to meet two fellow forum members and Mustang lovers. Chris was a great host and kind enough to let me pick up the column at his house which was closer to me than Joe's place is. Joe also sold me a nice rear fold down trim panel to replace mine that the PO drilled three holes in for some reason. Chris had some extra glass that he gave me a plastic roller off of that I needed for my car also. It was well worth the four hour and 20 minute ride to get all of these parts and meet and learn from two great knowledgeable Mustang guys. I wiped the column down as soon as I got home and it cleaned up really nice, it is going to look great once I refinish it in black to match my interior, I can't wait to go through it and get it installed. Thanks again to Joe for selling me the column and wheel, they are both options that I really was hoping I would be able to add to the car, and now I will.:D

Attachments

• Tilt column rim blow wheel 6.jpg
    Tilt column rim blow wheel 6.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tilt column rim blow wheel 7.jpg
    Tilt column rim blow wheel 7.jpg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_9545.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9545.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_72330174789__9A58A61B-28EA-4EB1-A399-F714F1E21DD5.jpg
    thumbnail_72330174789__9A58A61B-28EA-4EB1-A399-F714F1E21DD5.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_9359.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9359.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yesterday I road tripped it to Missouri. I picked up my new (to me) tilt column and rim bow steering wheel that I purchased form 72Mustangsprint Joe....
Road trip!! That is a great pickup. Your new RBD wheel is one of the best cores I've seen in a very, very long time. I am confident when you are finished restoring your wheel it will be a show stopper for sure! I predict you're going to need more shelf space in the shop.... 🏆

Road trip!! That is a great pickup. Your new RBD wheel is one of the best cores I've seen in a very, very long time. I am confident when you are finished restoring your wheel it will be a show stopper for sure! I predict you're going to need more shelf space in the shop.... 🏆
Thanks! Yes it is really in great shape to start with so hopefully that translates into a better finished product. I am grateful that 72mustangsprint sold it to me, although he did bust my chops about showing up in a foreign car to buy Ford parts, LOL. I'm very happy that I will be able to add these two options I really wanted to add to this project but didn't really think I would be able to. I remember wanting to do this to my 73 back in high school and always looking for a good tilt column or a rim blow wheel whenever I was at the junk yards. I never did find one back then. Also, thankful that cwalker509 was kind enough to remove it for me from the Sprint coupe before I got there to pick it up.

Last edited:
Back