What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I binged Kissimmee Mecum all day... in total transparency, I've watch every live broadcast since it started on January 2nd. But hey, I'm retired and can spend all the time and money I want on automotive collectibles ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Here are a couple of today's highlights.

Holy smokes there have been some real gems cross the block.

Stared at my engine bay, until I got a call from The Damper Doctor. He said my Harmonic Balancer is going to come home starting Monday!!
Remember to lube the front seal and it's damper mating surface upon install.

Attachments

• DA988176-8C58-48FD-9FBC-5D8D3A08DA25.jpeg
    DA988176-8C58-48FD-9FBC-5D8D3A08DA25.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • BF89958B-2EB8-4963-BED1-27D677ACF4A1.jpeg
    BF89958B-2EB8-4963-BED1-27D677ACF4A1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Had to redo the water lines for our well. System sprung a leak somewhere underground and would lose it's prime after a couple minutes. Original lines were cast iron, 3/4" from the well sheathed in a 1 1/4" iron outer sleeve. They had been repaired at some point with a two-line jet setup and poly pipe, with the jet unit buried somewhere out front as the lines headed straight for the road. Instead of destroying my entire front yard, I abandoned that mess and ran a new setup parallel to the house. 200psi poly pipe, new jet unit, proper size drop into the well. Almost had a "Timmy got stuck in the well" moment removing the old 3/4" copper drop .... :LOL:

Saved myself about $4k over the quotes I had from the local well companies.

Today's project is to scrounge up enough material from the piles around my yard to re-grade this area and pitch everything away from the foundation.

1707055329241.png

1707055526876.png

1707055595779.png

1707055617186.png

No car related stuff here. I have spent the last few months refurbishing my home getting it ready to sell. Just finishing the the last few details today and finishing packing everything for the move. I am expecting an enclosed car carrier tomorrow to take my 71 and 22 to my new home in NM. Once the carrier has my cars, I’ll load everything into a Uhaul truck and a car trailer for my ranchero and hit the road with my trusty German shepherd. Looking forward to warmer dryer weather, and enjoying retirement. My 69 Mustang and 81 F350 4x4 are already at my new house. Once there, I plan to build a 1600 sq ft addition to the existing 3car garage. If there’s anyone in the Las Cruces/ El Paso that has construction connections let me know. I’m looking forward to the days when my shop is done and I can spend time working on my cars, hanging out with my dog and enjoying the sunny days. This is my plan for a happy retirement 😎

Had to redo the water lines for our well. System sprung a leak somewhere underground and would lose it's prime after a couple minutes. Original lines were cast iron, 3/4" from the well sheathed in a 1 1/4" iron outer sleeve. They had been repaired at some point with a two-line jet setup and poly pipe, with the jet unit buried somewhere out front as the lines headed straight for the road. Instead of destroying my entire front yard, I abandoned that mess and ran a new setup parallel to the house. 200psi poly pipe, new jet unit, proper size drop into the well. Almost had a "Timmy got stuck in the well" moment removing the old 3/4" copper drop .... :LOL:

Today's project is to scrounge up enough material from the piles around my yard to re-grade this area and pitch everything away from the foundation.

View attachment 85420

View attachment 85421

View attachment 85423

View attachment 85424
Nicely done. I would like to get a tractor like yours for the projects I am thinking of at my new house.

This weekend I installed the 396 back in my friend's Chevelle. Of course next weekend, if I can find time, I need to finish wiring it and fire it up.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9984.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9984.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_9989.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9989.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Got to my Az home yesterday to escape the Noah’s Ark Southern California rain event and discovered today, hot water heater is no bueno. Was lucky my neighbor (retired plumber) needed something to do.

Promised my wife some "no-Mustang weekends" this month, so no real progress on that front. She has been saying that she was starting to feel like a car widow again. :rolleyes:

My intention was just to take my boring daily driver to gas and run through the car wash yesterday morning. Then I thought, I haven't really given the paint a good cleaning and wax since I bought it in October. A lot of people don't realize how dirty a new car's paint can be. They can often sit in in rail yards waiting to be shipped, for quite some time. Once we receive them at the dealership, we remove what little shipping protective wrap that was applied, which is only placed in specific areas of the cars where history has shown shipping damage most often shows up. After doing the PDI, we move it over to our remote storage lot, where they may sit for months sometimes without being washed, so they can have some pretty neglected paint. If there are five of the same color and equipment vehicles, we always try to sell the oldest in inventory, to keep inventory turned over. The vehicle that just arrived will most likely sit until all the other similar vehicles get sold. When the vehicle is sold, the porters wash and vacuum it, clean the windows and put dressing on the tires, but don't do anything necessarily to the paint, except sometimes a quick spray wax.

So, I ended up going down the ol' clay-barring, polishing and waxing rabbit hole, LOL. I even color sanded and compounded the couple spots where the manufacturer's robot left some orange peel. Technically it was still a "no-Mustang weekend" so, I didn't really break any promises. Next weekend and the last weekend of the month we are traveling, so the weekend in between I am hoping to get to the Mustang. I plan to get the slick-sand blocked down on the roof and quarters and spray some primer on them, in the body shop's spray booth for the first time, YAY! Then, they will hopefully be ready for it's last block-sand and primer/ sealer and be ready for paint.

Unfortunately, the "family truckster" is still is just a "sensible" soccer mom SUV but at least it is shiny, haha. To it's credit. with the seats folded down it is great for hauling Mustang parts around.:LOL: I have had both doors and both front fenders in it at one time to transport them to the body shop, and still had room for more parts.

thumbnail_IMG_0405.jpg

Last edited:
Promised my wife some "no-Mustang weekends" this month, so no real progress on that front. She has been saying that she was starting to feel like a car widow again. :rolleyes:

My intention was just to take my boring daily driver to gas and run through the car wash yesterday morning. Then I thought, I haven't really given the paint a good cleaning and wax since I bought it in October. A lot of people don't realize how dirty a new car's paint can be. They can often sit in in rail yards waiting to be shipped, for quite some time. Once we receive them at the dealership, we remove what little shipping protective wrap that was applied, which is only placed in specific areas of the cars where history has shown shipping damage most often shows up. After doing the PDI, we move it over to our remote storage lot, where they may sit for months sometimes without being washed, so they can have some pretty neglected paint. If there are five of the same color and equipment vehicles, we always try to sell the oldest in inventory, to keep inventory turned over. The vehicle that just arrived will most likely sit until all the other similar vehicles get sold. When the vehicle is sold, the porters wash and vacuum it, clean the windows and put dressing on the tires, but don't do anything necessarily to the paint, except sometimes a quick spray wax.

So, I ended up going down the ole clay-barring, polishing and waxing rabbit hole, LOL. I even color sanded and compounded the couple spots where the manufacturer's robot left some orange peel. Technically it was still a "no-Mustang weekend" so, I didn't really break any promises. Next weekend and the last weekend of the month we are traveling, so the weekend in between I am hoping to get to the Mustang. I plan to get the slick-sand blocked down on the roof and quarters and spray some primer on them, in the body shop's spray booth for the first time, YAY! Then, they will hopefully be ready for it's last block-sand and primer/ sealer and be ready for paint.

Unfortunately, the "family truckster" is still is just a "sensible" soccer mom SUV but at least it is shiny, haha. To it's credit. with the seats folded down it is great for hauling Mustang parts around.:LOL: I have had both doors and both front fenders in it at one time to transport them to the body shop, and still had room for more parts.

View attachment 86281
Good on ya! Got to keep her happy; makes life better. ;)

The Mustang is at mom's house so I don't get to work on it. But I did get to take the Jeep out wheeling today. The weather was awesome.
You need to let that blue beauty out for a run.

Yesterday I got one of those gantry cranes and assembled it. Today, I used it to pull the 350 out of my C-10. Inspection inside the oil pan shows I broke a piston.

1711848297724.png
Jwz34g2.png

Yesterday I got one of those gantry cranes and assembled it. Today, I used it to pull the 350 out of my C-10. Inspection inside the oil pan shows I broke a piston.

View attachment 87318
Jwz34g2.png
Sucks about the engine. Nice looking workshop, though.

A lil side project it's called a Shovelution. Hot rod Harley motor. Shovelhead STD cases stock crank S&S rods, Evolution heads, Screaming Eagle 2 plug heads topped off by a Supe E shorty.

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    913.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0848.JPG
    IMG_0848.JPG
    669.1 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 85420

View attachment 85421

View attachment 85423

View attachment 85424

I had a well in Windsor locks Ct. back in my aircraft dayz. I remember losing prime and had to crawl into the freezing water and replace the foot valve. I also had to dig that yard up, neighbor had a backhoe. I recently had to dig up my yard here and used a ditch witch. Those backhoes are so much better, the ditch witches don't travel well on rough terrain.

Sucks about the engine. Nice looking workshop, though.
That was the wife's doing. She knew I wanted to build a workshop but was always being responsible and putting it off. One weekend she went with a friend to visit their parents. The dad had finally gotten around to building his workshop. But by the time he did it, he was too old to really do anything. He just went out to the workshop and sat around watching TV.

My wife got back from that trip and told me go ahead and build mine now so I can actually do stuff in it. I started the planning for it April 2022. It was up and they were installing my rotary 10k lift April 2023.

Back