Bad news for the Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not much, but I have a perfectly good 18" fan you are welcome to if that's what yours has.

If so, if you PM me your address I'll send it out.

I don't have anything else to offer unless some of your interior dash panels took a beating.

Glad to donate some of those as well if yours got broken in the accident.

You never know where impact will break brittle plastic.

I think 73's are the same in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man  :s - it isnt my car ...and yet, I wanna chase down the people who ran the stop sign and go at them with pliers and a blow torch.  :atomic:

I love the way members rally around  to help out in these circumstances... big credit to you all .

This sucks big time and I'm glad you're ok. I think of this each time I take out one of my cars. You have to almost be looking 360 degrees to see which stupid moves are being made. Drivers are more distracted than ever these days, and there are many more cars on the road in general compared to years ago. That's one of the few good things about the current crisis. If you need to go out on the road to run some errand, the roads are pretty barren. How many times have we been stopped at a light or a sign and watched in the rear view mirror to see the person coming up from behind looking down into their lap. You're just sitting there waiting for the bang, or you take your foot off the brake, prepared to hit the accelerator if you can do so without causing an accident in front of you. And the person hitting you will likely be driving some soulless jelly bean, which even if it's totaled can just be replaced with another similar jelly bean. It's just an appliance to that person anyway, so they'll like their next car just as well as the totaled one. That car can be repaired, but with a uni-body car bent up like that you'll need to find a frame machine guy with some really old school expertise. After the chassis is straightened out and all of the measurements are correct, then it's time to begin replacing parts. I believe you are the one who had those awesome burnout videos not too long ago.

Dude, very sorry to read about that hit. Why do people run red lights???

I really hope you won't have to fight too much with insurance companies and I hope you'll get it fixed soon!

That is horrible! Glad you are ok! I hope you get the insurance sorted out quickly. The amount of damage is shocking for the speed you were doing. It really shows how new cars have improved on safety. Good luck with the restoration.

That is horrible! Glad you are ok! I hope you get the insurance sorted out quickly. The amount of damage is shocking for the speed you were doing. It really shows how new cars have improved on safety. Good luck with the restoration.
Actually - when you look closer. It has done what the tests today try to achieve. 

It was hit in the front quarter, the crumpled parts bent in the right places, cushioned some of the impact, diverting the energy away. 

The passenger compartment is untouched, the glass hasn't cracked, so the monocoque is still true. 

I'd say the 7173 are pretty darn good in this respect... all that is missing are airbags and seat belt pre-tensioners.

Glad everyone is unscratched.

So sorry this happened and I'm glad your okay! The damage on your car looks real bad but like others have said it is fixable and hopefully either insurance company will pay for them!

Thanks for all the responses gentlemen.  I'm still kinda in shock.  Really sucks, I saw the guy coming and let off the gas and he never even looked my way, blew the stop sign and tried turning left in front of me. I locked up the brakes but there was nowhere to go. I think the car did its job. The impact wasn't bad. I have been hit harder in demolition derbies!!  LOL  But I was surprised how much in crunched up. I was less than a mile from home and ended up driving it home.  I sent all the info to the insurance companies on both sides. I am supposed to hear back from them today.  I will keep you guys in the loop as to what they say. If i remember correctly, my car is insured for $36K.  I sure hope it don't go that far!!  But after digging around a bit on it last night its gonna need a good pull on frame machine. Rad support, several pieces of the inner fender apron will need replaced, front cross member is tweaked, driver shock tower is pushed in, doors are tweaked out, so body is definitely twisted. Looks like i will be calling Don at OMS in the near future.

Thanks again guys for the well wishes.  And Spike, I'm sorry to hear your car got smacked also....i feel your pain man!!

Few pics of the door gaps. Driver door looks pushed out and up. 

Thanks for all the responses gentlemen.  I'm still kinda in shock.  Really sucks, I saw the guy coming and let off the gas and he never even looked my way, blew the stop sign and tried turning left in front of me. I locked up the brakes but there was nowhere to go. I think the car did its job. The impact wasn't bad. I have been hit harder in demolition derbies!!  LOL  But I was surprised how much in crunched up. I was less than a mile from home and ended up driving it home.  I sent all the info to the insurance companies on both sides. I am supposed to hear back from them today.  I will keep you guys in the loop as to what they say. If i remember correctly, my car is insured for $36K.  I sure hope it don't go that far!!  But after digging around a bit on it last night its gonna need a good pull on frame machine. Rad support, several pieces of the inner fender apron will need replaced, front cross member is tweaked, driver shock tower is pushed in, doors are tweaked out, so body is definitely twisted. Looks like i will be calling Don at OMS in the near future.

Thanks again guys for the well wishes.  And Spike, I'm sorry to hear your car got smacked also....i feel your pain man!!

Few pics of the door gaps. Driver door looks pushed out and up. 

Sorry to hear (harder to see) Totally sucks, but if you are healthy you have the ability to rebuild, hope it turns out ok with the insurance.

I'm sorry to see this. It is the biggest fear I have as much as I drive mine. I can say when I had an issue my classic car insurer told me to stay out of it and let them handle it. They agreed to repair the car at the shop of my choice. They did not balk at the repair costs in any way, agreed to a complete repaint. They handled all the negotiation with the other party.

It has all been said here already...  our worst nightmare that some of us, unfortunately go through. It will keep you busy, that’s for sure. We have insurance hoping to never have to use it... But, when the time comes, it is important to fall back on to secure the fund’s to move forward. Your health is #1, so, everything else is just a journey... Best of luck on this moving forward.

Glad you are alright.

FWIW we have had a recent uptick in vehicle accidents at work. My wild guess is that many of the people on the road are distracted from the COVID 19 pandemic. Tired, worried, daydreaming, looking at news on their phone, checking texts etc.

I’m sorry for your loss, watching something you have invested a lot of time in take a hit like that is hard.

Peter

:jawdrop: Oh No, Breaks my heart to see those two beautiful cars involved in Accidents :(

Got to ask, did you flatten the drivers that ran the red lights :mad:  I would be seriously pissed!

Karma would be to tie them to the back of the stang and drag em once you get the car rebuilt.  :mad:

Have to say there's an awful lot of work needed to put the car right, when the emotion settles down you might want to take a serious think, would you be happy with a repaired / rebuilt car?   I know that's a tough question, you will have to think on that one.

Would the car being rebuilt after an accident of that magnitude diminish in value as far a insurance is concerned?

Really hurts to see those pictures, especially the door alignments, frame is bent for sure :(

Mark 

UK

:jawdrop: Oh No, Breaks my heart to see those two beautiful cars involved in Accidents :(

Got to ask, did you flatten the drivers that ran the red lights :mad:  I would be seriously pissed!

Karma would be to tie them to the back of the stang and drag em once you get the car rebuilt.  :mad:

Have to say there's an awful lot of work needed to put the car right, when the emotion settles down you might want to take a serious think, would you be happy with a repaired / rebuilt car?   I know that's a tough question, you will have to think on that one.

Would the car being rebuilt after an accident of that magnitude diminish in value as far a insurance is concerned?

Really hurts to see those pictures, especially the door alignments, frame is bent for sure :(

Mark 

UK
I was pissed but what can you do. Of course my first thought is beat the daylights outta someone, but it was an accident. Shit happens!  I have owned this car for over 15 years and really like it. Its not numbers matching, its nothing special. It was a 302 car.  But its mine and i have thousands of hours in this thing over the years. Every bit of work ever done to it was by me, other than the paint job, my buddy did. I would of normally shot it but i needed it done before my wedding and didnt have the time. Depending what the insurance says, i may farm out some of the work and then finish it to my liking. I dont have a frame machine or jig. I really like the work Mustang Craftsmen did on Jpaz's car. So i may contact them and see if they could pull frame and get it back into shape, replace all the front panels and hang fenders and hood. Then bring it back to my shop to bodywork and paint. But we will see what happens. 

Thanks again guys, i appreciate all the comments!

Well I know your pride has been well and truly hurt, as others have said, the good thing is you are ok.    I hope it works out with your insurance,as you know,there are so many  things that will likely be distorted from  suspension arms? Anti Roll bars?  Bulkhead?  Engine mounts?  Crossmembers,  the list goes on.

With this current Virus issue, it may be some time before things can happen, but on the bright side, at least a lot of the cars and coffee / car shows are postponed so you won't be missing out on anything :)

Good luck ::thumb::

Kevin,

First glad you are OK

Second... glad your wife didn't have to bail you out for beating the crap out of someone

Back