Tail Panel removal - need procedure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H code

72 Sportsroof 351W
I'm looking for the procedure or tips on how to cleanly remove the original Tail panel, without damaging the quarter. etc.

The spot welds seem to disappear on the upper left side, and I'm not sure if some of it was lead-ed in from the factory.

I have a plasma cutter if that's of any use to heat up the spot welds.

Screenshot 2024-10-06 at 7.26.20 AM.png

There is no lead in that panel. You need to drill out the spot welds. You can buy a spot weld cutter or use and over sized drill to remove them.

You need a spot weld drill. It's like a mini hole saw with a spring loaded pointed tip. Center punch (spring loaded type) the center of the weld to guide the drill point. Only go through as far as the tail panel metal. It will leave a little 'tit" that can be ground off.
I've not actually done this on a panel, but done similar in my past work. If I remember, my body guy drilled appropriate holes in the tail panel so as to weld through, so they look like spot welds.

There is no lead in that panel. You need to drill out the spot welds. You can buy a spot weld cutter or use and over sized drill to remove them.

You need a spot weld drill. It's like a mini hole saw with a spring loaded pointed tip. Center punch (spring loaded type) the center of the weld to guide the drill point. Only go through as far as the tail panel metal. It will leave a little 'tit" that can be ground off.
I've not actually done this on a panel, but done similar in my past work. If I remember, my body guy drilled appropriate holes in the tail panel so as to weld through, so they look like spot welds.
Screenshot 2024-10-06 at 8.03.20 AM.png this is what I ordered, I think it's spring loaded but not sure

IMG_0111.jpegIMG_0115.jpegIMG_0117.jpegIMG_0116.jpegIMG_0183.jpegIMG_0182.jpegIMG_0184.jpegIMG_0366.jpegIMG_0375.jpegYou will need more than 1. I buy them by packs of 5. If the edge catches it will break off a tooth. After a few teeth break you need to flip the tip and use other side. I keep a handful in my welding cart at all times.
The spot welds can be hard to locate sometimes but with patience you will find them. It’s a pretty straightforward job. Just don’t forget to remove the trunk latch bracket too. Take a few measurements so you put it back in same place and trunk lid closes properly. There’s also a stiffening bracket by each tailight. When you go you reassemble the tailight panel, I would recommend attaching it with self tapping screws before welding. Then install the rear quarter extensions, rear valance, and rear bumper. Make sure everything lines up nicely before welding. If you need to make adjustments it’s easy with self tapping screws. Once you’re happy with the fit, tear it all back off and start welding. Any more questions let me know.

When did mine I used a 3/8” / 10mm belt sander with a 36 grit belt. Nice thing about that method is you don’t end up with holes in your good metal from the pilot of the spot weld drill. You just grind away at the spot weld on the tail panel side of whatever it is sandwiched with. As you are throwing away the old tail panel it does not matter that you are making little square holes in it with the belt sander. For videos of this technique look on YouTube. About 2 minutes in on this vid. Make sure that on the quarter panels you remove the spot welds from the inside of the trunk. Don’t grind away at your quarter panels.

Also,
The repop tail panels are very likely to have two problems.

1) The tail light mounting bracket location is sketchy at best. Test fit tail lights before you install the panel. You will likely need to move at least one of the brackets.

2) When the holes for the tail lights are stamped it does not seem like the sheetmetal around the tail light hole is trimmed to an even measurement. In some places it may be 5mm, others 15. Again, check fitment of tail lights. Mark and trim metal to make the lip even. Otherwise you will have issues making your tail lights fit correctly and be weathertight.

Back