What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removed coils to chop, removed sway bar, replaced trans dipstick tube o-ring, and tightened up steering box leak today. Hoping to replace motor mounts and finish properly wiring the starter tomorrow.

IMG_5698.JPG

More interior parts today

Edit: Just find out that gauges are heading too low, from the drivers seat you can see only bottom half of the gauge... :(

Problem solved, now its ready

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh where do I start. I am going to do a thread on this deep detail of my 73 yellow vert. To hit what I have done so far. I got the proper breather caps and filters for the Ford Motorsports aluminum valve covers and installed. Got the MSD dizzy in place and static timed. No wiring harness in car right now.

Cleaned up the junk yard wire harness, washed with lacquer thinner and wrapped with new no stick tape. Cleaned every connection inside and out with steel wool. Cleaned all the grounds and all the bulb sockets and bulbs.

Got the wire harness back into the dash and installed the plate with all the relays and buzzers, glove box door and all the plastic trim. Air cond. vents in place. I taped off what is left of the chrome and sprayed with camera black. Installed the instrument cluster and hooked up all the wires. Got the main part of the heater box in. Installed 1/4 mesh wire under the cowl vents to keep squirrels out and also put a piece between the cowl and the heater box so no mice can get in, hurray. Pulled up the carpet and pad to see if there was any sign of the build sheet but nothing. I took the rear side windows out, regulators and tracks and washed all the dried up grease off and replace with Red & Tacky. You can remove a window in 5 minutes without any struggle. I will explain in thread. Cleaned and greased the front window guides. You can roll up and down with one finger and no shaking or noise.

Pulled the entire convertible top frame off. I am going to swap the top and frame from parts car to save some time on getting on the road. The area of the rain gutter was not rusty at all this is a California car and was not driven the last 25 years.

I still have to tear into the tilt column and replace a spring and install it. I put heat barrier sound deadening on the cowl area. Then put the dash in and get all the wires hooked up before I tighten anything down, was down to bare firewall. Much easier to just pull the whole dash if there are any issues. Electrical is my weak point for sure. After that is good I will put carpet back in then the interior. I need to pull all 4 wheels of brakes off and replace hoses and check calipers for rust. Replace the rear cylinders and go through the system.

I need to replace the hose on the fuel line at the tank already replaced all other with methanol resistant hose.

Trying to get this ready to go to the Charlotte Auto Fair April 7 so lots to do. I am not as young as I was so about 9 hours is all I can take at 68 of crawling around.

So in two weeks I have to go from an empty hull to a running driving finished car. I call it a deep detail not going to be a show car just want it good to go when and where I want to go. If all goes good might take to the Florida MCA show.

My biggest concern is the engine and transmission that the PO did work on just hope it was right no time to tear down now.

The crazy guy works on.

David

I broke it again! sheared the front u joint and destroyed the driveshaft and yoke/ Hit 2nd gear hard and boom!

nh0t1z.jpg

Was towed home in shame by a chevrolet

Damn Jeff! You are rough on equipment!! :D You got me rethinking my idea for a 5 speed! Or maybe you just have tires that hookup a lot better than mine! Kinda glad my tires just go up in smoke LOL!!! Good luck with it. You will have it back in shape in no time!

Damn Jeff! You are rough on equipment!! :D You got me rethinking my idea for a 5 speed! Or maybe you just have tires that hookup a lot better than mine! Kinda glad my tires just go up in smoke LOL!!! Good luck with it. You will have it back in shape in no time!
You are right. Must be why no one wants to date my exgirlfriends.

A spot of JB Weld will have you back on the road in no time.

Since I had the coils out I decided to play around and see what kind of clearances I have. Time to get the fenders rolled.

IMG_5732.jpgIMG_5733.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to improve some of my gaps and cleaning all the dirt that has collected after sitting since last November. During the course of the winter I did do some work on it like installing the reverse lockout rod and finally getting my seat belt warning light all connected and working perfectly. Next I'm going to replace my front brake rotors and pads and flush the entire brake system.

Power Steering Pump

Just de-gunked and degreased the outside. Put a coat of flat black on it.

Scrubbed up an original D1ZA lower shift boot for the car.

Made a sale on the old 14 inch Ford Magnum 500's yesterday.

Spent an hour touching up paint chips. In a few days I'll have to spend 3-4 hours blending and finishing. The final result will be less than perfect and far better than having chips and primer showing.

Waiting on parts to start repairing the most recent driveline destruction. First round is due her Monday afternoon-I have Tuesday and Wednesday off from work for time to spend with my kids for spring break. They won't be much help, but they are good guard dogs for the house if you threaten their computers

Got the battery relocation done last night. Now if I can get the weather to stay above 50 for a few days I could get the sound deadener completed and new carpets in.

After a long winter apart, my 71 came home to me today, $1600 richer in auto repairs, and upgrades, so peche71 will soon be getting some attention, and not to make peche 73 jealous that 'vert will get some attention now that warm weather looks to be here to stay.

Back