What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I sprayed hood blackout for my '72. I have never work with decals. So this i my first try to do this. Sand the hood, polish visible silver edges and mask it and put 3 layers of black coat. I used premixed flat black RM paint SC804 code (this is what have been able to get here in Europe). I feel black is maybe a little bit too glossy compare to original look. Check out...

13.JPG

14.JPG

No, you are correct. Its a non glossy black from the factory but I think that looks good too. I wish I could come up with some graphics I like for my red car.

I put gas in it. Dumped some down the center carb and fired it up! Took it for a 20 minute drive that included a few miles of freeway, a couple of slight slides around the corner and several 1st to 2nd gear 'chirps'. ;)

Today, I sprayed hood blackout for my '72. I have never work with decals. So this i my first try to do this. Sand the hood, polish visible silver edges and mask it and put 3 layers of black coat. I used premixed flat black RM paint SC804 code (this is what have been able to get here in Europe). I feel black is maybe a little bit too glossy compare to original look. Check out...

13.JPG

14.JPG
Sweet! I know who to call when mine's ready for paint. I'm planning on glossy for mine as well - much easier to keep clean and waxed (IMHO) than the semi-flat.

Did you use a pre-made template for the outline, or just go for it on your own?

Went to Scotty Stricklands in Oxford, NC and picked up the frame. Inspection sticker says 10/79. Turns out when the man parked it he pulled the engine and put undercoating in the entire engine compartment. Front end is very solid. ::thumb:: Now I just need to get all that undercoating off.::help::

DSCN1101.JPG

DSCN1102.JPG

DSCN1103.JPG

I lied earlier. I did do something today, and I've been trying to do it for awhile. I had to go down to O'reilly's to check out my work truck (check engine light came on, turns out it had a misfire). While I was there I happened down the tool aisle - low and behold, there was a window molding removal tool! This is the second time I've been to O'reilly's looking for it, and I also went to NAPA and Autozone before with no luck. Hell, NAPA didn't even know what I was talking about :mad:.

But there it was, I bought it and removed the front window trim. :) I have to remove the window now, but the hard part is done and I didn't damage the trim at all.

We don't have an O'reills here. Got a make and model number? I need one too!!
Ask, and ye shall receive!

Worked pretty good, too, just remember to grab the retainer clip BELOW the trim, not over the lip. Took me a minute to figure that out. Do you have a Checker Auto Parts? They merged with O'reilly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started with a needle gun removing the obvious loose stuff on the front frame of the donor car. Then made the mistake of checking out other areas of the car. Then made the MAJOR mistake of just sitting and looking the whole thing over for an hour. I'm sOOO confused. :huh:

DSCN1104.JPG

DSCN1105.JPG

DSCN1106.JPG

Ordered the trim removal tool last night.Thanks Steve.

Needle gunned, sanded, wire wheeled some more after talking at length with Don65Stang about our projects and life in general. Thanks Don I really enjoyed it and hope you can pull that next car in without the wife hearing you before you can hide it. :p

Finally got up with the frame man and he's coming out tomorrow to help me make a determination on where to make the cut. But since I have new rear quarters wheel welds and trunk floor on mine I'm pretty sure we're going to cut at the front of the rear frame. My rockers are O.K. but the parts cars are better. Not looking forward to that sawing a Q-code in half trick. This should be interesting since I've never done it. :s

Ordered the trim removal tool last night.Thanks Steve.

Needle gunned, sanded, wire wheeled some more after talking at length with Don65Stang about our projects and life in general. Thanks Don I really enjoyed it and hope you can pull that next car in without the wife hearing you before you can hide it. :p

Finally got up with the frame man and he's coming out tomorrow to help me make a determination on where to make the cut. But since I have new rear quarters wheel welds and trunk floor on mine I'm pretty sure we're going to cut at the front of the rear frame. My rockers are O.K. but the parts cars are better. Not looking forward to that sawing a Q-code in half trick. This should be interesting since I've never done it.
Nice talking to you Mark! I'm glad to hear your plan getting finalized...just hate to hear a Q-ectomy is in the future. Be sure to cut out the metal for the rear shock support that holds the staggered shock.

Installed the speakers in the door today. They look good. Installed the custom trunk carpet and sanded the roof for the vinyl and the small bodywork I have to first. My new air metal saw was a blast. It cut thru the door like butter. I can wait to show you guys photos, its coming. I promise.

Back