351 4v ( 408 and TKX )

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this thread. I appreciate all of the fantastic pictures you have posted. Its always great to have a road map on a project like this, and this thread is a great one.

Time for the slow progress report.  Been working on getting the interior installed. Starting with the back panel and package tray. Then came the sail panels. Clean and painted the quarter window regulators from a coupe. Then install,that was to easy. Moved on to installing roof rail moldings and weatherstrip. Up next is the quarter glass and install.
Sweet!  That's what I did - bought something like 6 cans of the SEM Metallic Black for all the trim pieces.  I think I have about a can-and-a-half left, but I never ran short... which was all that mattered to me at the time.

Something else I did before installing the headliner was to put all of the trim fasteners, visor mount screws, upper seat belt bolts, and the old dome light fixture in their respective places, with about 3 threads showing on each, so I could feel the exact locations through the headliner to know where to make the incisions.  Took all the guesswork out of it, but none of the nerves though... I was still puckering each time I put the Xacto knife to the material. ;)

Time for the slow progress report.  Been working on getting the interior installed. Starting with the back panel and package tray. Then came the sail panels. Clean and painted the quarter window regulators from a coupe. Then install,that was to easy. Moved on to installing roof rail moldings and weatherstrip. Up next is the quarter glass and install.
Sweet!  That's what I did - bought something like 6 cans of the SEM Metallic Black for all the trim pieces.  I think I have about a can-and-a-half left, but I never ran short... which was all that mattered to me at the time.

Something else I did before installing the headliner was to put all of the trim fasteners, visor mount screws, upper seat belt bolts, and the old dome light fixture in their respective places, with about 3 threads showing on each, so I could feel the exact locations through the headliner to know where to make the incisions.  Took all the guesswork out of it, but none of the nerves though... I was still puckering each time I put the Xacto knife to the material. ;)
Eric I did the six cans on your lead. I did the screws under the headliner as well.

You have come a long way in the past year!  Nice job sir.

I will have some questions for ya on the qrt windows. Also the headliner now that your a pro.

I picked up a complete set with regulators off of a 71 cougar xr7. When I pulled them I didnt have a smart phone and didnt think of bringing a camera to take some pics.

Looks really good...... you should be proud to garage that car!

Rod and Sally
Thanks Rod!  Give me a call when you do the quarter glass.

Hi Mike,

Ive been using Marhyde black satin trim coat #3811 a 3 m product. Its pretty expensive $12.00 a can. Looks really good on my firewall and engine bay. It tough as well. Is it similar to the sem metalic black?

Also did you guys take any pics of the headliner install? Im curious what it looks like in there? and how its held together and such.

keep up the good work!

Rod and Sally

Hi Mike,

Ive been using Marhyde black satin trim coat #3811 a 3 m product. Its pretty expensive $12.00 a can.  Looks really good on my firewall and engine bay. It tough as well. Is it similar to the sem metalic black?

Also did you guys take any pics of the headliner install? Im curious what it looks like in there? and how its held together and such.

keep up the good work!

Rod and Sally
Sorry Rod no deal tailed pics of the install.

Eric I did the six cans on your lead. I did the screws under the headliner as well.
Cool!  That makes me feel like I might've actually helped out a bit - so glad to be a part of the team! ::thumb::

Hi Mike,

Ive been using Marhyde black satin trim coat #3811 a 3 m product. Its pretty expensive $12.00 a can.  Looks really good on my firewall and engine bay. It tough as well. Is it similar to the sem metalic black?

keep up the good work!

Rod and Sally
Not to steal any of Mike's thunder, but check out this article: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/interior-electrical/headliner-install

There are also a handful of helpful threads on the site regarding the headliner installation.  This one was the most helpful to me when I did mine back in 2014: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-headlining-installation

Thank you !!!!!!!!!

It has good pointers. Sad, but im a see it kind of guy. Once witnessed I can easily do the job. Sure be good to have a video of the process.

Thanks Eric!!! Good pointers in the threads. Dag nab it ......I just installed that windshield 2 weeks ago.

When you coming out here? Dont use that corona virus thing to back out either :)

Thank you !!!!!!!!! 

It has good pointers. Sad, but im a see it kind of guy. Once witnessed I can easily do the job. Sure be good to have a video of the process.
I see that I have some learning to do on the forum thread stuff ....... Sorry to muck up the thread :cool:

This afternoon I did the quarter glass weatherstrip install. The channel rubber came from NPD and the weatherstrip came from Don at Ohio mustang. Easy enough job. The channels popped right off with a little WD40. Cleaned the glass real good and installed. Tomorrow install passenger side and look at the trim panels.

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

Thank you !!!!!!!!! 

I see that I have some learning to do on the forum thread stuff ....... Sorry to muck up the thread :cool:
All good here.

This afternoon I did the quarter glass weatherstrip install. The channel rubber came from NPD and the weatherstrip came from Don at Ohio mustang. Easy enough job. The channels popped right off with a little WD40. Cleaned the glass real good and installed. Tomorrow install passenger side and look at the trim panels.
Those do look awesome. Nice job.

Seems odd that the mustang machs didnt come with qrt windows installed. But all the mounting brackets were there. Trying to save a buck off the sticker price?

They all came with qtr windows, but the Mach 1’s didn’t roll down unless you ordered power windows. They actually had to make a separate plate to keep the 1/4 windows fixed in place. Sure doesn’t make sense, all the mounting holes are there. No extra brackets are in place, just the mounting holes for the winder and the hole for the crank is there. All done with the same stamping. So I guess they saved money by not having to install the winder and crank handles? 10-20 bucks a car at the most? Probably even less, who knows.

They all came with qtr windows, but the Mach 1’s didn’t roll down unless you ordered power windows. They actually had to make a separate plate to keep the 1/4 windows fixed in place. Sure doesn’t make sense, all the mounting holes are there. No extra brackets are in place, just the mounting holes for the winder and the hole for the crank is there. All done with the same stamping. So I guess they saved money by not having to install the winder and crank handles? 10-20 bucks a car at the most? Probably even less, who knows.
You got me........... I meant why didnt they install the regulators. Would have been a little breezy without the 1/4 windows. Some customers would have complained for sure.

Lookin' awesome, Mike!  Man, that paint's about a foot deep, isn't it?  Beautiful! ::thumb::

Rod, there are some threads roaming around about quarter window roll-up conversions as well (regulators and hardware harvested from a '72 coupe/hardtop parts car).  I did that to mine with the intent to add aftermarket power windows - haven't gotten the SPAL universal motors installed yet, though.

Back