What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today,

Front fenders.  Had a time figuring out the fasteners. Pretty darn good alignment of panels though. Note the hood is not closed all the way.  I am still refinishing the primary latch bar.

They had been hanging from the ceiling for too many years. 

Today- I took a picture of the car.  Just because it is starting to look like a car again.

Nice looking Panhard Bar. What type of suspension are you going with?
Suspension is kind of a Heinz 57 mix - but most of it is from Mike Maier Inc.  The Panhard setup and the rear springs are from him, and it is really nice.  The bracket is well designed and the rod itself is aluminum tube.  Up front the Upper Control arms are from Maier Racing (Before Mike and his brother parted ways) with JRI coil over shocks, Lower control arms are Hotchkis,  strut rods are from Total Control.  Swaybar is "I forgot" and just horsing around with absolutely no weight in the car it seems like it will be fun and predictable.

Adjusted the hood latches.  Click CLICK and she closes.  Adjusted bumper heights, installed and adjusted twist locks.

Struggled with marker light fasteners, took a snooze on the front porch....

kcmash

Still very impressed with my alignment of the front end sheet metal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Adjusted the hood latches.  Click CLICK and she closes.  Adjusted bumper heights, installed and adjusted twist locks.

kcmash

Looks great and I see you got the correct pattern on your hood! I just went thru the same thing with the hood locks and alignment of the fenders and hood. Lots of fidgeting for sure, but rewarding when all lined up.

kcmash

That does look fantastic better than original. The layout of the hood paint does look lots closer than most just a little shiny. You just cannot get the original look with the paint available today. Here is a pic of my original hood to compare to. Did you purchase a template or just lay it out?

kcmash

That does look fantastic better than original. The layout of the hood paint does look lots closer than most just a little shiny. You just cannot get the original look with the paint available today. Here is a pic of my original hood to compare to. Did you purchase a template or just lay it out?

My painter had done a rubbing of an original hood.  He is a perfectionist.  So I can never tell the difference from the original.  This was painted 14 years ago with the PPG Delstar Acrylic paint before it went obsolete.

Now If I can find a reasonable deal on painting the lower front fenders, I will be home free...

kcmash

Started the day intending to play with different options for firming up the foam / spring supports of the driver seat.  We put new ACC foam in it when we had the seat covers replaced, but its always been too soft for me. After unwrapping and removing the foam, I found that the seat pan is in really bad shape.  Multiple cracks, and evidence of previous repairs. I understand this is a problem area for this seat, but wow, this is close to folding over.  

We all know the drill, one project begets another...looks like me and Mr.Miller 140 will be gettin' busy in prep for blast and paint.  :p

https://ibb.co/sp49phf

Seat-Pan-1.jpg

Oh... that brings back memories... My J Code Vert has its original front seats removed in the mid-70’s and replaced with Mustang II bucket seats. The dealer I bought the car from put “new” recovered 71 white seats in. Of course, when I tore everything down, the two seats he had installed new white covers over were like your’s except more rust... I had them sand blasted and a good welder repair the cracks and then the seats were powder coated black. Looked great when I sent them out for another new white cover seat set, but this time, I have confidence in the hidden aspect... 

Even my low mile original Green Vert driver seat had issues when I got it. I suspect the long term original owner was a big boy... At least this time it was just a good weld repair necessary and I reinstalled the original seat covers. I hate that feel in these original bucket seats when you lean back and the seat back keeps on going back...

You were wise to correct the issues now.

Installed the front bumper.

Tried to get the choke working on the car.  Need some screws for that

Made some sill plate supports from foam core board since the original stuff is smoked! Picture 1.  Picture 2.  Wll that wire work for an electric choke connection?

upload image

That wire is tied to the battery, so it will always be hot; not a good choice for electric choke. I believe that is the lead for an optional hood lamp.

Went out to a local car show today, benefitting charities that help homeless veterans.  Didn't place (only 13 trophies, and over 50 cars), but I had fun hangin' with the guys.

IMG_0499.jpg

Facebook's being a jerk about allowing outsiders to connect - I'll post up a link to another online gallery later.

On Sunday I made it to a car show about an hour from here. After looking at the radar and forecast I thought it was clear, but I was very wrong (no future as a weather man, even though they are mostly wrong). It started drizzling 10 minutes before getting there and for the next two hours. It was a miserable car show weather. The cars got soaked, but what can you do when you are 65 miles away. I got into the slightly modified street car from 1960 to 1980. They had a Mustang class but it was for stock. Out of the seven in my class I got third and my first trophy. It was more of a judge's choice rather that real judging. He was not interested on the interior and quickly looked at the engine bay. Not much he can do to check the exterior due to it being wet. After all, it was a good chance to talk to other car people. There was a yellow 71 Mach 1 in the Mustang class but every time I will stop by I couldn't find the owner.

It was a "good" 130 mile day. No water leaks and I was able to test how little traction I have when wet. Couldn't touch the gas pedal too much in second gear before the tires went lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back