What is this bracket for?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do need to get you that molasses tank to de rust parts like those pulleys. Cheap and no air or sand needed.
Yeah I've seen them for sale around me.  Just need to find someone to deliver one and find a good place to put it. Probably out back behind my shed to hide it.  ::)

When I had a look at the photo it didn't seem like a stupid question

The pointer part is fairly obvious but the bit below doesn't look like anything I've seen on Ford V8s I've owned

Looks like some sort of magnetic pick up perhaps?

Maybe now I'm the one with a stupid question eh?

You do need to get you that molasses tank to de rust parts like those pulleys. Cheap and no air or sand needed.
Yeah I've seen them for sale around me.  Just need to find someone to deliver one and find a good place to put it. Probably out back behind my shed to hide it.  ::)
Evaporust works great. I have a 5 gal bucket, you can sometimes get it locally at an auto parts store or Tractor Supply. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00370N1UG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've seen the timing pointers with the lower bracket before, mostly on 80's 5.0 engines. Speculating that was for dealer diagnostic equipment, possible a magnetic pickup. Might be yours was replaced at some time on the past with a later year part from a 351M or 400.

Evaporust works great. I have a 5 gal bucket, you can sometimes get it locally at an auto parts store or Tractor Supply. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00370N1UG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've seen the timing pointers with the lower bracket before, mostly on 80's 5.0 engines. Speculating that was for dealer diagnostic equipment, possible a magnetic pickup. Might be yours was replaced at some time on the past with a later year part from a 351M or 400.
The only problem with Evaporust or the stuff I bought from Home Depot (Metal Rescue $25/gallon) is that they are not concentrated so what you buy is what you have.  You can go through a whole gallon or 5 gallons with just a few parts if you have enough rust on larger parts (suspension components, hood, decklid, etc.).  So if I'm going to try any type of soaking to remove rust rather than blasting then I will need a very large container and something cheap to mix into the water to remove the rust.

My Cleveland has the exact same timing pointer.

It was. Here is a pic showing the pointer before the engine went back in the car.

Wow...interested in your engine build if you have a link to a thread you posted or just PM me the info (what you changed, upgraded, parts, etc.)  I'm still on the fence on whether to go for more original look (not concours) or upgrade everything and do a restomod.  The Marti report shows my car is one of only 184 with my paint/trim codes so that's the only thing holding me back.  But as long as I keep all the original parts it can always go back to original if I really wanted it to.

Great stuff! I reuse it over and over until it stops working. With Amazon Prime shipping is free.

All I did was soak the A/C compressor clutch face down in a pale for a day and the rust was gone.... Then just applied a mat clear coat.

Last edited by a moderator:

So far I know the water pump was replaced at some point.  There were remnants of a sticker on the front of it and I could make out the words "Hi Performance Rebuilt".  As for the rest of the engine I'm not sure at this point.  Everything looks pretty original but I won't know for sure until I get it out and start disassembly to see if anyone has ever taken it apart before.  Hopefully it has not been through too much turmoil in its lifetime.

As for Evaporust I haven't tried that yet.  The molasses solution sounds good only because you can use a huge container full of water and mix in the molasses as David recommended and spoke of in some of his other posts I've read.  You spend money on the huge container and the molasses but that's all.  The Evaporust and Metal Rescue (home depot) costs more and you only get 1 to 5 gallons at a time.  If it were concentrated and you could mix with water that might be better.  For small parts yes it could definitely prove to be beneficial.  1 gallon of Metal Rescue cost me $25 though so even if I wanted to fill up a 5 gallon bucket that's a lot of money.

Back